Database design for recipes

• OK...all you designers....help me find the best way to make a database that will hold thousands of recipes.  Searchable on ingredients or titles.  I haven't a clue as to where to start, so I am asking for help.  Any ideas?????  Thank you so much!!!!!!

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• You really need to provide more information on how you are building the app. Individual ingredients could be stored as separate rows, or part of a blog. Depends on if it matters. Searching out all recipes that contain "paprika" can be easy or hard.

Full-Text search, especially in SS2K5 runs pretty well if you store things in text.

• Thanks Steve for the comments.  I really don't know how to go about this project.  Was hoping that maybe others have had some experience/knowledge and could help me out.  What I do know, is that there are 10's of thousands of recipes slated to be in this database.  Ones that you can search on and also be able to submit to.  Any thoughts????

Thanks again!!

Thank you!!,

Angelindiego

• Hi,

I'm by no means an expert and I'm trying to do the same type of project! Here's what I have so far (see attachment for pdf) and if you want, maybe we can work on it together (send me a msg for my messaging info).

Here's a description of my tables:

categories - such as southern, texan, louisiana, cajun, creole, easy, hard, medium, 30 minute meals

recipes - gumbo, chicken soup, shrimp casserole, etc...

recipeCategories - southern gumbo, texan/chicken soup, etc...

recipeIngredients - gumbo, flour, roux, onions, celery, bell pepper

ingredients - flour, roux, onions, celery, bell pepper

measurements - teaspoons, tablespoons, cups, pinch, etc..

I also plan on adding other features in the future.

I hope this helps in anyway and like I said, I'm still learning myself and this may or may not be the best way to do this but it's something to get started. Cheers!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply