Database Corruption

• Hi All, 

I hope that I could had some Help concern to a issue that currently I am facing.

So I have a couple of Database in the SQL Server 2014 Express where the OS is the windows 8.

So time to time I have my Database corrupt with the example error below.

"Table error: Object ID 2145246172, index ID 1, partition ID 72057606297092096, alloc unit ID 72057606788022272 (type In-row data). Page (3:786338) is missing a reference from previous page (3:526980). Possible chain linkage problem."

So the main problem I could not find any root Cause, I had check Hardware Failures, Errors in the OS, Hard Shutdowns and nothing I cannot Saw a single problem.

Does anyone Already face such experience as this.

Thank you 

• Do you have a recent good full backup and log backups?

Thanks

• NorthernSoul - Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:51 AM

Do you have a recent good full backup and log backups?

Thanks

My concern would be that the OP implies that this is a regular occurrence. Although they could perform a restore from a recent back up, something is causing it to happen.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• 99% of corruption is caused by a faulty IO subsystem. Could be anything from filter drivers right down to the disk. There's a lot of moving parts in a modern IO subsystem.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Thom,
    The issue is solved my problem is I could not Find the rout cause.
    After check all the main variables that can cause a Database corruption, I did not found anything.
    So I do not know where I can look anymore.
    Thank you

• Thom A - Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:05 AM

NorthernSoul - Wednesday, November 8, 2017 2:51 AM

Do you have a recent good full backup and log backups?

Thanks

My concern would be that the OP implies that this is a regular occurrence. Although they could perform a restore from a recent back up, something is causing it to happen.

Yes you're right, I missed the part which implies it's a recurring issue.

Thanks

• Hi Gail ,
    Exact that was I troubleshoot,
    I check all my hardware Fails, the Disk Health, id the raid Drives are updated, Power failures, Memory Health.
    So I can not found a reason why the Database got corrupt, that is wierd.
    Thank you 

• Drives are a small part of a modern IO subsystem. The error can be anywhere in the stack.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• d_gomes2 - Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:14 AM

Hi Thom,
    The issue is solved my problem is I could not Find the rout cause.
    After check all the main variables that can cause a Database corruption, I did not found anything.
    So I do not know where I can look anymore.
    Thank you

How can the issue be resolved if you don't know what caused it, and it keeps happening? If you car's tyre keeps deflating, filling it up with air does not solve the problem long term; finding and sealing the hole or replacing the tyre fixes the problem. If the database is corrupting frequently, then just doing a restore isn't solving the issue, it's a temporary fix till it happens again (and again, and again).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Hi Tom,
    Exact I apply a quick fix and of repair the DB and Like I explain I could not know what cloud be the root Cause.
    That why I asking help if anyone can help where I can look since I already discard all the points to troubleshotting.
    Note: This issue are Happen in other servers as well, is not a isolate Situation and all of them The disk, Memory health are fine and no hard Shutdown are made.
    Thank you

• Hi Gail,
    How Can I look or test the Subsystem IO in order to performance same checks.
    Thank you

• Do any of these servers have anything in common? Are they all using the same Cluster to store data on or are they all VMs on the same host, for example? Are they all hosting the same database (I.e. Dev, UAT and Production versions on the different instances)? If it's happening on several servers then I'd start by identifying similarities between the different servers, especially any shared resources.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Hi Tom,
    The server are exact the same as Hardware, OS and SW.
    Thank you

• d_gomes2 - Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:36 AM

Hi Gail,
    How Can I look or test the Subsystem IO in order to performance same checks.
    Thank you

Depends on what the IO subsystem is, and it's got little to do with the performance of it.
    Speak to your vendor if it's a SAN, otherwise you'll have to work through the monitoring and errors from every single component.

Gail Shaw

• d_gomes2 - Wednesday, November 8, 2017 3:40 AM

Hi Tom,
    The server are exact the same as Hardware, OS and SW.
    Thank you

And none of them use any shared resources between the x of them? What about the databases? Are they replicating each other (thus if one corrupts the other would likely too)?

Gail is right that you need to error monitor your hard ware, which is different for every piece of kit, but I find it very odd that you have multiple servers having the same issue if they have nothing in common apart from the having the hardware installed. I mean, if that IS the case, then it does heavily imply the hardware is the problem and that the issue is the same across all your servers. You do hear about bad hardware parts (we installed a server last year and 1 of the RAM sticks were faulty, but that was 1 stick out of 256GB. We've had disc failures over the years but never enough for a RAID/Cluster on a single machine to fall over), but for several servers to all have the same fault, with different (if identical) hardware implies a bad batch. I would be surprised at that.

Thom~

Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply