Data Input/Output Problems (not matching)

• My co-worker is having a problem with an application he is writing. He needs to input the new Euro sign (€) into a field and re-display it in another window.

The input in the field is ok and the database stores the Euro sign. But when queried from the database the output is a square (or on the .JSP page a question mark)

The access to the SQL Server is via the Merant JDBC driver. The development environment is IBM Visual Age.

Has anybody an idea where to look?

Searching the KB articles is like

picking your nose. You never know

what you'll find.

• How did you query the database?

I find that QA outputs en-dashs etc okay.

Steven

• Hi steven_white40

Yeah, I can see the euro sign when I query with QA. So it seems like I've got a Merant JDBC problem of sorts? Or could it be just a Internet-Explorer (displaying the .jsp page) problem?

what you'll find.

• I wouldn't think so unless the page does something odd to the datas format. Seems like an understood character but IE seems fine here. I would check into the driver as the issue. DOn't know but have you looked at the MS SQL JDBC driver that was recently released to at least test this possibility?

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• Ok guys. Here some feedback from my side.

It's a known issue with IE. The euro glyph/sign is only supported during input. It can't display the euro glyph when reading it from the database.

Our solution: After the input we check each input field for the euro glyph and replace it with € . IE then translates it back to the euro glyph for display and the user can edit it again (or change it, or whatever).

The only setback is when we access the data via an Access Interface. We then have to replace € in each input field with the € glyph again, so users don't accidently delete the unknown characters.

Thanks for you input

Cheers, hot2use

what you'll find.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply