Data Dashboards

• The removal is tough, especially when there might be valid reasons to have some data about you. Allowing someone to remove any data is not something I'm sure I'd like. However there ought to be a policy that allows for corrections in a fairly easy manner.

• How can I prove to your system that I am Steve Jones? Well sure, I don't have your password to SQLServerCentral.com - but then you don't have a password for the grocery store's profile of you either. So let's assume I want to "correct my information" regarding the shopping history of Steve Jones at WalMart. How do they verify that I am not you and therefore not authorized to access that record?

• Identity could be tough. What about someone that purchases, say beer, and wants to remove that? Not sure that's a valid removal item. Some places are also required to have something like an SSN to report tax issues.

It might not be simple to correct things, but you ought to be able to submit corrections, have them verified, and then a way to escalate the changes if they don't happen in a timely manner.

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/25/2010)

There is a lot of money to be made selling information about people. Years ago I worked in a startup and we would regularly get lists of people to email/call and try to sell products. It always bothered me, and so when we started this site, we refused to buy or sell information.

And we had some nice (five figure) offers for a list of emails.

Is it not illegal to do that? I find this very irritating when people phones me and want to sell something! Normally at the most inconvenient times. I have a cellphone contact (2 years at a time) wirh one cellphone network. Tommorrow the same network phones me and tells me they can save me a lot of money and that I am paying way to much for my current contract. Aaaargh, they just agitate me!!!!!!

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply