Data Compression in SQL Server: Shubham Saxena

• Dear Friends,

Please help!!

I need to build up a function or stored procedure to compress/decompress a large object.

like image or blob please provide me script to compress and decompress image in SQL.

Thanks !!:-)

• The only compression SQL Server has is table/object compression (look up ALTER INDEX) and backup compression (BACKUP DATABASE ... WITH COMPRESSION)

Could you explain more what you're trying to do here?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I Want to store image as in image datatype with compression of byte using a function

like fn_compress(@imagebyte image) also need to decompress the same.

could you help me to create a function like fn_compress(@imageByte Image)

• Compression algorithms aren't really something you want to write in T-SQL, wrong tool for the job. Have a look at the CLR, there may be some built in functions in there that you can use in a CLR function

p.s. the fn prefix is unnecessary. It's just a waste of typing.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • shubham.saxena67 (4/2/2013)

I Want to store image as in image datatype with compression of byte using a function

like fn_compress(@imagebyte image) also need to decompress the same.

could you help me to create a function like fn_compress(@imageByte Image)

I would recommend reviewing this white paper: http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=64525

I am of the opinion that images shouldnt be stored in relational databases, only the link/path to the item should be. But thats IMHO.

But to answer your question, without going to a CLR, SQL Server can't compress images, nor would you want it to, its not designed for that.

• I played with this compression CLR for SQL 2005 more than five years ago.

It worked at the time, but as Gail said, I think doing it in TSQL is the wrong tool for the job. I usually do compression at the application /file system level, and then maybe i would store the results in a SQL database.

you'd most likely need to modify the structure of the table to now have varbinary(max) columns for the compressed data.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/16934/Using-CLR-integration-to-compress-BLOBs-CLOBs-in-S

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks Gail!!

Thanks Lowell!!

Agreed, i was doing something wrong but use of CLR is the best option.

Lowell, given link was too much helpful.

Thanks a lot!:-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply