Cycle Error Log in 2008 doesn't work

• I have been using this job on servers for years, though I had not done much with SQL2008 servers. Now that I am deploying SQL2008 servers I have noticed that my job no longer works, and I cannot tell why, from the limited log info:

Executed as user: dbo. User does not have permission to perform this action. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 15247). The step failed.

The job runs under the SQL Agent, which is the same user as SQL Server runs under, just like on my SQL2005 boxes, but I get the above error on SQL2008. I run the following script on 2005 and it works perfectly.

Note: I am not saying this script does not run on SQL 2008, I am saying the resulting job is creates will not run, giving the error mentioned about. The job runs fine on 2005.

I've checked all rights, and can't see a way to give the user any MORE rights on the server.

The job script:

-- Script generated on 12-6-2004 3:22 PM

-- By: Chris Stamey

BEGIN TRANSACTION

DECLARE @JobID BINARY(16)

DECLARE @ReturnCode INT

SELECT @ReturnCode = 0

IF (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM msdb.dbo.syscategories WHERE name = N'Database Maintenance') < 1

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sp_add_category @name = N'Database Maintenance'

-- Delete the job with the same name (if it exists)

SELECT @JobID = job_id

FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs

WHERE (name = N'CycleErrorlog')

IF (@JobID IS NOT NULL)

BEGIN

-- Check if the job is a multi-server job

IF (EXISTS (SELECT *

FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobservers

WHERE (job_id = @JobID) AND (server_id <> 0)))

BEGIN

-- There is, so abort the script

RAISERROR (N'Unable to import job ''CycleErrorlog'' since there is already a multi-server job with this name.', 16, 1)

GOTO QuitWithRollback

END

ELSE

-- Delete the [local] job

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sp_delete_job @job_name = N'CycleErrorlog'

SELECT @JobID = NULL

END

BEGIN

-- Add the job

EXECUTE @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_job @job_id = @JobID OUTPUT , @job_name = N'CycleErrorlog', @owner_login_name = N'sa', @description = N'Cycle the Errorlog. Keeps the Errorlog from getting to large to review. Chris Stamey', @category_name = N'Database Maintenance', @enabled = 1, @notify_level_email = 0, @notify_level_page = 0, @notify_level_netsend = 2, @notify_level_eventlog = 2, @delete_level= 0

IF (@@ERROR <> 0 OR @ReturnCode <> 0) GOTO QuitWithRollback

-- Add the job steps

EXECUTE @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobstep @job_id = @JobID, @step_id = 1, @step_name = N'CycleErrorlog', @command = N'sp_cycle_errorlog', @database_name = N'master', @server = N'', @database_user_name = N'dbo', @subsystem = N'TSQL', @cmdexec_success_code = 0, @flags = 0, @retry_attempts = 0, @retry_interval = 1, @output_file_name = N'', @on_success_step_id = 0, @on_success_action = 1, @on_fail_step_id = 0, @on_fail_action = 2

EXECUTE @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_update_job @job_id = @JobID, @start_step_id = 1

-- Add the job schedules

EXECUTE @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobschedule @job_id = @JobID,

@name = N'Sunday0001',

@enabled = 1,

@freq_type = 8,

@active_start_date = 20040317,

@active_start_time = 000100,

@freq_interval = 1,

@freq_subday_type = 1,

@freq_subday_interval = 0,

@freq_relative_interval = 1,

@freq_recurrence_factor = 1,

@active_end_date = 99991231,

@active_end_time = 235959

-- Add the Target Servers

EXECUTE @ReturnCode = msdb.dbo.sp_add_jobserver @job_id = @JobID, @server_name = N'(local)'

END

COMMIT TRANSACTION

GOTO EndSave

QuitWithRollback:

IF (@@TRANCOUNT > 0) ROLLBACK TRANSACTION

EndSave:

GO

USE [master]

GO

EXEC xp_instance_regwrite N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE', N'Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer', N'NumErrorLogs', REG_DWORD, 10

GO

Am I nmissing some fundamental difference between 2005 and 2008?

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• Do you have a proxy set for the job? Or can you execute each statement with the SETUSER clause and see which one might be causing issues? My guess is it's permissions related, which might change for jobs/service accounts from version to version

• Oh so curious behavior.

Perhaps I'm not holding my mouth right:

Use Master

Go

Exec ('exec sp_cycle_errorlog')

As user = 'dbo';

As login = 'sa';

Msg 15247, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_cycle_errorlog, Line 5

User does not have permission to perform this action.

User Master

Go

Exec ('exec sp_cycle_errorlog')

As login = 'sa';

DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your system administrator.

This works the same way on SQL2005 and SQL2008, so isn't a valid test of the problem.

The job is owned by SA and says it is executed as "dbo". No proxies set up anywhere, on SQL2005 or 2008.

Not sure where to go from here.

Thanks,

Chris

Learning something new on every visit to SSC. Hoping to pass it on to someone else.

• Found the problem, although I don't necessarily understand yet why it happened. The job step had "dbo" in the "Run As User" text box in Advanced properties of the job step. This is different from the "Run As" list box in the General Page of job step properties. In my script it is "@database_user_name = N'dbo'", which I removed and it works just like in 2005 now. In 2005 this entry, "Run As User", is filled with "dbo" and the job runs just fine.

Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply