Customizing the CSV subscription in SSRS

• I already have subscriptions setup for my report. It sends CSV files over email. I got a new request from the end user that they do not like comma as the delimiter. They want a different character to be used as the delimiter. When I setup the subscriptions, I did not see any step to customize the delimiter. I recommended using SSIS job to customize the delimiter. I would like to ask if there are other better ways to do this?

• You can actually do a lot to customize the rendering extensions in SSRS...

here is a link to the MSDN documentation for 2008 (there is a 2005 page as well) for modifying the CSV extension.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms155365.aspx

Also at the bottom of the page there is a link to the section on modifying the rendering extensions themselves... it's actually fairly easy, all you have to do is make the appropriate changes to the RSReportServer.config xml document on your report server. Just make sure you make a backup first!

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Luke, Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it. I am preferring something that'd not affect most csv export.

• you can create a new rendering extension by copying the existing csv one and calling it something else. Then you can even hide it so that it can only be used by this one report schedule and not shown to the users. I believe the BOL documentation talks about creating one where the default print orientation is portrait and the other is landscape.

As an example, my users only see the rendering extensions to export to xls and pdf, but ones like the image one are still there because the rsclientprint utility needs it to operate properly.

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks Luke. I'll try your suggestion. Have a good Weekend!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply