Customized Log shipping configuration in SQL 2005 Enterprice Edition

• Hi SQL Experts,

I have scenario where we need to configure log shipping (SQL 2K5 Enterprise Edition) between two database nodes one in different location (loc1) and other one is in different location (loc2) and in between firewall is in placed, log shipping is required a network shared folders that would be holding the backup (transactional log) files where securityetwork team needs to be open a port (NetBIOS) for the same but problem is that in our environment we canโ€™t open it for the security prospects.

I discussed the same with them and they are agreeing only for SFTP for file sharing. I need help to configure SQL Log shipping through customized options, please share your ideas or steps to perform the same.

Thanks & Regards,

Nitin Gupta
    SQl Server (7.0,2000,2005) - Sr. DBA
    HCL Technologies, India

• In your case, you can write your own restore script based on the log files that are transferred. You automate a transaction log back up to a particular location, use powershell or any other scripting tools to copy file over to location 2. In location 2, check for new files and then do a restore. You can use oSQL to do this.

Maybe someone else has other ideas, but this is the one that comes to my mind.

-Roy

• What I would do is similar to what Roy has suggested.

Use a script on the source to do an SFTP to the new location. I would have it delete old log files after a long delay, like maybe a day so that you are sure they are on the new server.

Have the destination pick up the files from the SFTP location and then do a RESTORE. You might need to read the file headers to be sure that you are restoring the correct file. Once the restore is complete, delete the log file and look for a new log file. I'd do this for catch up in case things get delayed. If no new log files, let the process end. Schedule it to repeat every xxx minutes.

• Thanks for the replay,

But problem is that user want the data should be reflected in every 15 mins and when loc1 goes down the loc2 should be up and working.

once the loc1 again come to online the loc2 redirect the application link to that server only (in short user wants us t o implement cluster kind of work using logshipping or any other tools where port activation is not required.

๐Ÿ™ I realy feel very bad in this situation.

Regards,

Ni3

Thanks & Regards,

Nitin Gupta
    SQl Server (7.0,2000,2005) - Sr. DBA
    HCL Technologies, India

• I'm not sure what you mean here. The English is a little confusing as you're writing it. If you can't open ports to location b, then there is no way clients can connect to this server in the event of a failure.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply