Creating SSRS projects in Visual Studio 2019 - can't get it to work!

• Hi there,

We've been using Visual Studio 2017 for a while now but I want to upgrade to VS2019. Looks like rptproj files are not compatible with VS 2019. I've been looking on how to do this and it looks like I'm best creating a new solution and importing the rdl files from the vs2017 version in to there. Problem is I can't find a way of creating a new project for SSRS without installing an extension. I've tried to install the Microsoft Reporting Services Projects extension but it fails stating "Microsoft Reporting Services Projects: the file is not a valid VSIX package". I think I've added the correct toolset *data storage and processing" and "Visual studion extension development" but it still doesn't work. Can someone help please? I may well be going down the totally wrong path here so if there's a better way of creating SSRS reports then please let me know.

• Did you install the SSDT (or whatever they are calling it in VS 2019)?  Chances are you are missing the reporting templates for VS2019.  This link has some directions:

https://tomaztsql.wordpress.com/2019/11/03/installing-ssis-ssrs-and-ssas-with-visual-studio-2019/

But the basics of it are that you need to install the extension for Microsoft Reporting Services Project.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Thanks for the reply Brian but that's what I've been trying and it gives me the popup to say the download file is not a valid VSIX package, so I'm pretty stuck!

• I would try a repair install of VS2019 or look for updates to VS2019.

It sounds like something may be broken with your VS install (just a guess).

As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• I don't think that's it sorry as my colleague also has the same exact problem from a totally separate install.

• A repair install doesn't hurt though - it could be something with an update or if your computers were built from a WSUS image (for example) with VS2019 pre-installed, the image may have some missing information.  In my environment, developers are given base installs of machines when they get a new machine which comes with a bare Windows install and an Office install.  It is up to the developer to install any development related tools (visual studio, git, etc).  There are 2 reasons for this - licensing costs (to install a Visual Studio subscription based tool (formerly MSDN), you NEED to have a Visual Studio subscription at the same level or higher as the tool being installed), and tools required (IT has no idea what tools I require.  My requirements may not match a coworkers requirements for example.  I may "require" SSRS with VS2019 while a coworker in my department may no no SSRS work and may require SSIS with VS2012 to support an older system).  If you and your coworker both had VS2019 installed by someone other than you, it MAY be an improper install and in need of a repair.  Or it may be you lack permissions to install extensions into VS2019.  I am not sure what permissions are required to install extensions.  OR your antivirus may be grabbing the extension and quarantining it before VS can install it.  But I'd tackle the "repair install" route first as that is the easies one to handle (my opinion).

If you opt to not go with the repair install route, there are other things you can check.  Is your VS2019 up to date (patch wise)?  Can you install the extension if you run VS as an admin? Can you install the extension if you use the VS installer instead of from within VS?

I just loaded up VS2019 and tried creating a new report project and it worked without any issues.

I also tried opening an SSRS project that I have on my system that was created in VS 2017 in VS 2019 and it opened up no problem.  It loads the VS2017 rsproj file with no issues.

Due to this, I believe that the problem is with your specific install of VS2019, hence why I recommended a repair install.

I am running:

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2019

Version 16.9.2

With reporting services extension version:

Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Designers

Version 15.0.19528.0

and I am having no issues loading a VS2017 SSRS project in VS2019 OR creating new SSRS projects in VS2019.

One thing that it MAY be (doubtful, but doesn't hurt to check) - have you tried opening the .sln  file in notepad (or equivalent) and ensure the header is configured to allow VS2019?  The header should look something like this:

Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 12.00
    # Visual Studio 15
    VisualStudioVersion = 15.0.28307.645
    MinimumVisualStudioVersion = 10.0.40219.1

I highly doubt it is a problem with the solution file as you cannot install the extension, but I've seen stranger things than that before.

• Got it working! It wasn't the install in the end...it was our forcepoint software blocking the .exe install file those extensions use! Typical!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply