creating routes without considering ports

• Is it possible to creates routes between those servers without considering ports and just using IP address of the servers?

• I have not tried it myself, but according to Books OnLine (CREATE ROUTE article), the answer is yes.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Whoops hang on, I misread your question...

hmmmm,... well it depends on what you mean...

You do have to include a port-number in the CREATE ROUTE command, but as I understand it, it is not the port of the remote SQL Server Service, but rather the port-number of the Service Broker Endpoint on that remote SQL Server.

And that does appear to be required.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    [/font]

• Hi Thanks a lot for ur answer. Can you explain me the major difference between a service broker service and service broker end point?

• The Service Broker EndPoint just enables Service Broker to send & receive messages to & from other SQL Server Instances and its definition includes the port number that that SQL Server Instance will receive on. There can only be one SB EndPoint per SQL Server Instance, so effecitvely, you never actually use the EndPoint name. You just use the SS Instance name and the endPoint's port number in the Create Route statement.

A Service Broker Service, is essentially just a label/name that gets applied to a Queue so that you can SEND to it. This is because you can only RECEIVE from a queue, but you can only SEND to services. So when you create a Service you must include a queue that the Service is attached to. Then when you send to that Service, your message shows up in the attached queue.

[/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply