Creating indexes on computed columns

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Creating indexes on computed columns

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• I think you need to check the answer key for this question. It lists "Column references can pull data from multiple rows." as one of the options you have to pick, but then in your explanation you say "No column reference pulls data from multiple rows."

And the BOL article you link to says 'No column reference pulls data from multiple rows.", so it seems that "Column references can pull data from multiple rows." is not a correct choice. Either that or you meant for the can to be can't.

• Wow, this is so ridiculous. The referenced BOL page clearly states:

No column reference pulls data from multiple rows

The answer, however includes the opposite and still claims it as a correct option. As a matter of fact even the wording of all listed options matches the BOL word by word except it does not include the word NO for the multiple rows option.

Oleg

• UMG Developer (9/29/2010)

I think you need to check the answer key for this question. It lists "Column references can pull data from multiple rows." as one of the options you have to pick, but then in your explanation you say "No column reference pulls data from multiple rows."

And the BOL article you link to says 'No column reference pulls data from multiple rows.", so it seems that "Column references can pull data from multiple rows." is not a correct choice. Either that or you meant for the can to be can't.

I agree. The answer key for the question is wrong. The explanation is correct as per BOL. I think the editors will rectify this soon.

Kingston Dhasian

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

• Just another 0=1

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
    © Dr.Plch

• Here the script that states "No column reference pulls data from multiple rows"

create function aaaa() returns int

as

begin

return (select SUM(a) from aza )

end

GO

create table aza(a int,b as dbo.aaaa())

create index idx_aza on aza(b) -- raise error: function is NON-DETERMINISTIC

• Though I am right, I lose point 🙁

Thanks

• The first answer (All functions that are referenced by the expression are deterministic and precise.) is incorrect as well. As long as the column is persisted, imprecise functions can be used.

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner

• UMG Developer (9/29/2010)

I think you need to check the answer key for this question. It lists "Column references can pull data from multiple rows." as one of the options you have to pick, but then in your explanation you say "No column reference pulls data from multiple rows."

Fully agree with UMG Developer.

And I'd also agree with Chris Büttner--but in order to gain a point, just stick with the wording in BOL and disregard anything else, as computed columns need to be persisted in order to be used in an index (and the question was only about 'computed columns' but not about 'persisted computed columns'). 😎

Regards,

Michael

• I carefully left that third option unchecked because I thought it was the author attempting a bit of a trick by having just that one worded differently from BOL, too!

• Like the many others I have select the 3 options and not selected Column references can pull data from multiple rows. From what I can tell I was right like the others so give me my 1 point:angry:

• Yet another error. I won't tolerate any mealy-mouthed excuses, such as those which we have experienced in the past.

Go to the very bottom of the class, and stay there with your dunces cap on, until I permit you to move.

[And give me my point]

Kenneth Spencer.

You never know: reading my book: "All about your computer" might just tell you something you never knew!
    lulu.com/kaspencer

• please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189292.aspx, the third answer is incorrect, I am sure Steve will rectify the situation.

this actually follows on from the question two days ago, which is why I answered it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• The explanation contradicts answer number 3 being true.

• Yes,

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189292.aspx#BKMK_persisted states that:

"You can create an index on a computed column that is defined with a deterministic, but imprecise, expression if the column is marked PERSISTED in the CREATE TABLE or ALTER TABLE statement."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply