Creating a reference to a data value in another table based on an ID?

• I see a way to accomplish but the method is kind of cludgy and I was hoping someone else has done this successfully more like I want. I first off do this in an ASP generated report myself which works great but I am wanting to move the whole thing to RS for SQL 2k.

I have a report with multiple datasets and generate multiple tables. What I need is the details value of a specific row/column based on an ID value which is in the dataset.

Ex.

Table 2

A         B         C            (ID which is not seen on the report)

Test1   1         2             1

Test2   8         5             2

Test3   4         1             8

Test4   7         5             15

Total    20       13

Table 8

Escalation

A         1st       2nd          3rd         % Performed In Escalation    (ID matches as previously)

Test1    0         1             0            100%

Test2    2         2             1            62.5%

Test3    1         0             2            75%

Test4    2         0             5            100%

25%     15%         40%

Now in Table 8 the bottom row is the total for the escaltion row / the total for column B in Table 2. I have this. But % Performed In Escalation  is the total for the Escalations row / the coresponding value in column B of Table 2. I am looking for how to get "the coresponding value in column B of Table 2" thru a reference or to Table 2 or other better than what I am currently doing, especially since the list can grow and the method I am currently using relies on it being static?

Hopefully this makes sense and someone has come across it. BTW I do know how to reference the last value in Table 2 Column B that isn't the total line but that doesn't complete what I need to know.

Thanks in advance for any help. Also, I know I haven't said how I am doing it now with the report as I want to see if anyone else is doing the same.

• Spoke too soon. I think I found a way that meets my needs. However could be I missed an easier solution so still post if you think you have a potential solution.

• In case anyone has the same need here is what I did.

In the report I opened the Reports properties dialog and selected the Code tab. Then I inserted the following code: (Note first revision so may go back and sharpen a bit later)

Dim arX(1,0)

Function SetValue(valID, valAmt)

If IsArray(arX) Then

Dim x

x = UBound(arX,2) + 1

ReDim Preserve arX(1, x)

arX(0, x) = valID

arX(1, x) = valAmt

End If

End Function

Function GetValue(valID)

Dim x

For x = 0 to UBound(arX,2)

If arX(0,x) = valID Then

GetValue = arX(1,x)

Exit Function

End If

Next

End Function

From there in Table 2 when I am outputing the column A value I do like so.

Expression: =Fields!A.Value & Code.SetValue( Fields!Col_ID.Value , Fields!B.Value)

Which allows me to store the data I need (note: before you answer I should have joined or anything Table 2's data is not matching what I have, what I needed was to get the calculated value of serveral columns and to build the data for Table 2 takes 351 Lines of query which I don't want to have to run again for table 8).

Then in Table 8 I do the following

=(Fields!V1st.Value + Fields!V2nd.Value + Fields!V3rd.Value) / (Code.GetValue( Fields!Col_ID.Value))

Which allows me to retrieve the stored value and bring into my calculation for the "% Performed In Escalation" column in that table.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply