Creating a 2 Node SQL Server 2008 Virtual Cluster Part 2

• Hi Perry,

Domain name : nalin.abey.net

OS of all nodes: Windows Server 2008

Thanks..

• When will be part 3 released?

• Hi,

Its a great step by step tutorial.

I have setup as instructed (well almost) but when I go to SQLNode2-> iSCSI Initiator -> Target Tab, it shows all the targets but keeps showing the status "Reconnecting...". Do you know what am I doing wrong here πŸ™

Thanks again for this great tutorial.

• All

please find part 3 here[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" πŸ˜‰

• How do I get the Windows Server Enterprise 2003 ISO. I am stuck at this point in the β€œcreate virtual machine” window. Please suggest any way to get this ISO file?

M&M

• you could use the Windows 2008 eval or sign up for a Technet subscription πŸ˜‰

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry Whittle (10/8/2011)

you could use the Windows 2008 eval or sign up for a Technet subscription πŸ˜‰

Thank you, will do it now.

M&M

• Any help on this section of article would be great as I am currently stuck at this point. Trying to find some information.

"Install the windows operating systems on each VM and create a domain controller with a test domain on ClusterDC. Configure Public networking between the 3 VM's and join the 2 nodes to the domain. Configure the iSCSI network between the VM's and the NAS VM. Configure the heartbeat network between the cluster node VMs.

Ensure you set the network adapter bindings on the 2 cluster nodes. The Public NIC should have priority followed by the Heartbeat and then the iSCSI NIC."

M&M

• For this section create 3 new Windows virtual machines.

1 of them requires just 1 virtual NIC connected to the public network.

The other 2 require 3 virtual NICs each. One connected to public, one connected to iSCSI and the other connected to heartbeat\private. You could use the following

VMNet1 Public 172.168.10.0 255.255.255.0

VMNet2 ISCSI 192.168.93.0. 255.255.255.0

VMNet3 Private 10.10.10.0. 255.255.255.0

So the domain controller will have 1 NIC connected to VMNet1

Each cluster node will have one NIC connected to VMNet1, VMNet2 and VMNet3.

Get all 3 machines installed and networked and post back for details of how to create the domain controller.

• Thanks for quick response.

The 3 new Windows Virtual machines have been configured.

Please see screenshots belows.

For ClusterDC, here the n/w adapter is VMnet1

For Node1, screenshot below

For Node2, screenshot below

Here, the IP addresses used for VMnet1, VMnet2 and VMnet3 are the same as the ones mentioned in part 1 of series.

For VMnet1 : IP address is 172.168.10.0

For VMnet2 : IP address is 10.10.10.0

For VMnet3 : IP address is 192.168.93.0

However, on trying to create the domain controller after typing "dcpromo" on ClusterDC, I am getting below error message.

I had already assigned IP addresses during part 1 of article, not sure how to proceed.

M&M

• All you did in part 1 is setup the subnets. Within each machines OS you have to assign an IP in the relevant range. If you need to you could get your windows admin to help you at this stage if you're not sure of IP address settings

• mohammed moinudheen (10/9/2011)

"Install the windows operating systems on each VM and create a domain controller with a test domain on ClusterDC. Configure Public networking between the 3 VM's and join the 2 nodes to the domain. Configure the iSCSI network between the VM's and the NAS VM. Configure the heartbeat network between the cluster node VMs.

Ensure you set the network adapter bindings on the 2 cluster nodes. The Public NIC should have priority followed by the Heartbeat and then the iSCSI NIC."

Now, I am done with these steps.

"Install the windows operating systems on each VM and create a domain controller with a test domain on ClusterDC".

Due to some reason, I was not able to view any network in ClusterDC,Node1 or Node2 VMs. So, I used the Microsoft Loopback Adapter for configuring the IP for virtual machines.

Below are the details of IP address.

ClusterDC: IP is 192.168.101.1

Node1 IP is 10.10.10.8

Node2 IP is 10.10.10.9

Please share your inputs for the below items, I could go step by step.

"Configure Public networking between the 3 VM's and join the 2 nodes to the domain".

How do we do it? Any links would be useful.

M&M

• mohammed moinudheen (10/10/2011)

Due to some reason, I was not able to view any network in ClusterDC,Node1 or Node2 VMs.

not sure what you mean by this.When you login to the windows operating system and open Network and Sharing Centre then Change Adapter Settings, you should see the network adapters. You need to set a static IP address on each adapter relevant to the network it is connected to (public, private or iscsi).

Do you know how to set an IP address within Windows?

• not sure what you mean by this.When you login to the windows operating system and open Network and Sharing Centre then Change Adapter Settings, you should see the network adapters.

Please see the screenshots below, I could see no network adapters even though I configured it on ClusterDC VM machine. Due to this I configured the Microsoft Loopback Adapter.

Please see the network connection on CLusterDC

Also, please refer screenshot from VMware.

Do you know how to set an IP address within Windows?

As I couldn't find any adapters, after browsing on the net, I found that you could use Microsoft Loopback Adapter. So I configured the Loopback adapter and then set the static IP address there.

I followed these steps,

Start->Control Panel-> Network and Sharing Center->Manage Network Connections->Go to Adapter->Right click and go to properties->Click on Internet Protocol Version 4-> Properties-> Then enter the IP address

I guess this is the process right?

M&M

• Try installing the VMWare tools in each of the windows virtual machines, this could be why you don't see the adapters.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply