create CNAME in upgrade SQL server

• Good morning all ,

In a SQL server migration context I transferred the instance named SQLA\DLA to SQLB\DLB

Who has an idea how to create a CNAME DNS entry because I don't know how to change the application chain

thanks

• The DNS CNAME only references the IP address - which is the SQLA to SQLB portion of an instance name.  To resolve the instance name change you will need to update the connection string or use server/client aliases.

If you create the new instance as SQLB\DLA - the a CNAME will work and your connection strings wouldn't need to be updated because reference either SQLA\DLA or SQLB\DLA would both resolve to the same IP address and same SQL instance name.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• You have to understand what the application connection string is using first.

If it is using an alias you just need to get the alias name changed to point to the host server SQLB.

• We use DNS Aliasses for most of our sqlserver servers.

Hence connections to myco-dev-proj\Instance001 will get pointed to effectiveDevServer999\Instance001

We keep instance names unique !

When preparing an upgrade by new server installation, Instance001 is being installed onto that new server.

The instance is fully moved ! ( systems stuff prepared and made easy by using powershell dbatools ! )

At an agreed time frame, all user databases and jobs are moved and activated at the new server

DNS alias is changed so it points to the new server name.

Give it a couple of minutes to sync over you domain(s) and off you go.

No connection string changes at all needed.

Best of all: No SQLServer aliasses needed at client side!

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply