Create a new instance SQL server 2019

• Hi,

I'm kinda new to setting up MS SQL DB related stuff.

I want to create a new DB instance for SQL server 2019. There's already one instance running.

I assume  should go with the alternative called "Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2019"?

Will this have any effect on the current running instance? It won't overwrite anything on the existing instance?

newDBInstance

BR,

Stekost

• That's right, perform an new installation - it will need to be a different instance name from the one you currently have running. Also for security reasons make sure you use different service accounts. I also use separate disks for a new instance.

It will not impact the instance you currently have running. Make sure you limit the max server memory for each instance and leave some for the OS.

Thanks

• There are some shared items, but overall, no effect from one instance to the other other than resource usage (you're sharing memory, cPU, etc. )

On my workstation, I typically keep 2-3 instances running with different versions. I often don't install a default instance and keep them as (local)\SQL2016, (local)\SQL2017, etc.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply