CPU usage by an instance with TSQL

• Hi,

I have 4 SQL Server 2014 Web Edition instances running on 32 core AWS server.

I want to take snapshots every minute of what % of the total CPU on the server is taken by each instance and log it into a table.

Is it possible via TSQL?

Thanks.

• Hi

I found the below query from performance dashboard tool. You can try using that

declare @ms_now bigint

select @ms_now = ms_ticks from sys.dm_os_sys_info;

select top 50 record_id,

dateadd(ms, -1 * (@ms_now - [timestamp]), GetDate()) as EventTime,

SQLProcessUtilization,

SystemIdle,

100 - SystemIdle - SQLProcessUtilization as OtherProcessUtilization

from (

select

record.value('(./Record/@id)[1]', 'int') as record_id,

record.value('(./Record/SchedulerMonitorEvent/SystemHealth/SystemIdle)[1]', 'int') as SystemIdle,

record.value('(./Record/SchedulerMonitorEvent/SystemHealth/ProcessUtilization)[1]', 'int') as SQLProcessUtilization,

timestamp

from (

select timestamp, convert(xml, record) as record

from sys.dm_os_ring_buffers

where ring_buffer_type = N'RING_BUFFER_SCHEDULER_MONITOR'

and record like '%<SystemHealth>%') as x

) as y

order by record_id desc

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Roshan Joe

Jeff Moden -Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Joe's solution involves connecting to each instance on the server individually. You may be happy with that, or you might prefer to connect to one of them and use xp_cmdshell to run these two commands:

wmic path Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process where "Name Like 'sqlservr%'" Get PercentProcessorTime, IDProcess

wmic path Win32_Process where Caption='sqlservr.exe' Get CommandLine, ProcessID

You can join the two result sets together to get the processor utilisation for each instance. This relies on your SQL Server service account having the necessary permissions to run the WMIC commands.

John

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply