CPU - Quad Core or Not

• I'm spec'ing out a new server for SQL 2000 Standard. Would Quad Core be recommended above other CPU's? We will be upgrading to SQL 2005 next year.

Thanks!

• Hi,

For SQL Server 2000 Standard edition there a limitation, you can just use 4 processors (http://www.mssqlcity.com/FAQ/General/sql_server_2000_editions.htm).

Check this article, I think it will be the same for 2000 standard http://sqlforums.windowsitpro.com/web/forum/messageview.aspx?catid=82&threadid=87056&enterthread=y

Regards,

Ahmed

• Hi,

It's me again, considering the following article http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6038148.html

a quad-core is considered as eight-processor servers (so if you want to use all processors for 2005, in the future, you will need 8 licence (1 per processor)).

Regards,

Ahmed

• In a per processor license mode, you only need one license for each physical processor, not for each core. With a quad core processor, you need only 1 per processor license.

😎

• Hi,

Thanks do you have any microsoft reference, just in case please.

Ahmed

• Hi Lynn,

Considering this article in sql server magazine, you need 1 licence for 1 quad-core processor.

http://www.sqlmag.com/Articles/ArticleID/95622/95622.html?Ad=1

I am sorry for the mistake

Thanks,

Ahmed

• 3.TERMS SPECIFIC TO THE PER PROCESSOR LICENSE MODEL.

a.Licensing a Server. The manufacturer or installer has determined the required number of software licenses and

assigned those licenses to the server with which the software was distributed as described below.

i.Determining the Number of Licenses Required. The total number of software licenses required for a

server equals the sum of the software licenses required under (A) and (B) below.

A.To run instances of the server software in the physical operating system environment on a server,

you need a software license for each physical processor that the physical operating system

environment uses.

B.To run instances of the server software in virtual operating system environments on a server, you

need a software license for each virtual processor that each of those virtual operating system

environments uses. If a virtual operating system environment uses a fraction of a virtual processor,

the fraction counts as a full virtual processor.

This is from the EULA. If you are not using a virtual environment, A applies.

• Thanks a lot.

• Thanks for all the info! I appreciate it greatly.

The information I am looking for is whether a performance gain is available with Quad Core version Dual Core. Most desktop apps do not, at least without over-clocking. I cannot find any article that compares SQL performance.

Thanks!

• You will get some gains as SQL Server is written to be multi-threaded. Something most desktop apps are not.

• Multicore processors will typically improve performance on most servers somewhat - but not as much as a 2nd, 3rd, 4th physical processor.

Given the current state of affairs in the server market it's likely that you can get 4 core processors for the same price as equivalent single core processors - last time I spec'd a server the quad core processors were actually cheaper than single & dual core processors at the same speed, go figure.

Joe

• If you use Intel chips, you may (or may not) get a small performance gain using 2 x 2-core processors over 1 x 4-core processor.

If you are specifying a server that may need upgrading during its lifetime, then go for 4-core processors, as adding an extra processor is a cheap upgrade. Also, 4-core processors are now normally cheaper than 2-core or single-core of the same speed.

Also, remember that SQL is not the only thing running on your box... Windows is also there and uses processing cycles. If you run any anti-virus, backups, DTS, client tools, etc, etc, they also take CPU time. If you put in 2 x 4-core processors, SQL Standard edition will only use 4 of the 8 cores - by default these will be 0 to 3 but you can set SQL processor affinity to use any of the 8 cores. Any use of the remaining cores is outside of SQL and therefore not slowing SQL down by the work they are doing.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• We're on x64 bit SQL 2005. We went from a Dual Proc server to a Single Quad Core server and time to build our cube was very similar - but slightly faster.

I don't think there is an x64 bit version of SQL 2000. :crying:

But if you're looking for more performance, the x64 bit platform seems to offer some advantages. And all the new machines should be capable of running an x64 bit OS.

So if an upgrade to SQL 2005 (or 2008) is an option, you may want to consider looking a bit further than just a Quad core. Amount of Memory, 32 bit or x64 bit OS, version of SQL server (Std or Enterprise), type of load (transactional, data warehouse loading, SQL, Analysis Services) should all be looked at.

Greg E

• Thanks guys! This is all good information, especially when it comes time to put the final request for a machine that exceeds 7 - 8 K$!

• Ahmed Bouzamondo (11/16/2007)

Hi,

It's me again, considering the following article http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6038148.html

a quad-core is considered as eight-processor servers (so if you want to use all processors for 2005, in the future, you will need 8 licence (1 per processor)).

Regards,

Ahmed

Sounds like you have hyperthreading turned on. From what I've read, and from my experience with 4 and 8 cpu servers (2-socket dual and quad core), turning off hyperthreading speeds up SQL Server significantly by reducing CXPACKET (parallel sync) wait states.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply