COUNT() Function

• kapil_kk (4/15/2013)

For the last query:

select COUNT(convert(int,NULL)) from #temp

It will return 0 because when you execute the query:

SELECT CONVERT(int,NULL) it will return NULL and as the return type of COUNT is INT so NULL will implicitly

converted to '0'.

Hope it will clear to you now Yogi ๐Ÿ™‚

Converting NULL to integer has nothing to do with the result. COUNT(NULL) will also return 0.

Actually "SELECT 'T' FROM #temp" or "SELECT NULL FROM #temp" both will return 5 rows and 1 column containing that constant ('T' or NULL). This explains why we get 5 when we run "SELECT COUNT(1) from #temp" and we get 1 from "SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT 1) FROM #temp".

But the aggregate functions ignore NULL values. And since we are just counting NULL values, the result will be 0. And that is why we get 0 from "SELECT COUNT(NULL) FROM #temp".

Mohammed

• mohedm (4/18/2013) and to ALL

But the aggregate functions ignore NULL values. And since we are just counting NULL values, the result will be 0. And that is why we get 0 from "SELECT COUNT(NULL) FROM #temp".

Mohammed

The COUNT(NULL) expression is not valid and will give error because it cannot be converted to any datatype. that's why I have converted NULL to one of datatype.

And I agree that Aggregate functions ignore NULLs but exception of COUNT() function which count the NULLs as well.

Run and see the result of this query. This query will give 2 count.

select COUNT(*) from (select null col union all select null) a

And check this below two queries and my question is why these both queries giving different count (0 and 2 respectively) whereas both have 2 records.

I am confused here. Please anyone have much clear information on this. I will appreciate that.

select COUNT(convert(int,NULL)) from (select null col union all select null) a

select COUNT(*) from

(

select convert(int,NULL) colNull from (select null col union all select null) a

) b

• Nice question..

Somebody tell me what does that ALL mean in a select statement (4th option)..

--
    Dineshbabu
    Desire to learn new things..

• Is there anyway to make COUNT() to consider even NULL values?? I mean any set options or something like that?

--
    Dineshbabu

• Dineshbabu (4/18/2013)

Is there anyway to make COUNT() to consider even NULL values?? I mean any set options or something like that?

Yes. Just use COUNT(*).

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Dineshbabu (4/18/2013)

Is there anyway to make COUNT() to consider even NULL values?? I mean any set options or something like that?

To get count() to include null values, you can simply use count(*) or count(constant). Personally, I find it more useful to get count to ignore certain values using count(nullif(ProviderName,'')) or sum(case when SSN not in('','000000000','999999999') then 1 else 0 end)

Puto me cogitare, ergo puto me esse.
    I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.

• Hugo Kornelis (4/18/2013)

Dineshbabu (4/18/2013)

Yes. Just use COUNT(*).

Thanks man.. You hit me hard.. I raised the question when i was out of mind..

--
    Dineshbabu

• srienstr (4/18/2013) I find it more useful to get count to ignore certain values using count(nullif(ProviderName,''))

Nice...

--
    Dineshbabu

• Dineshbabu (4/18/2013)

Nice question..

Somebody tell me what does that ALL mean in a select statement (4th option)..

I had been nervous about that keyword too. It is apparently the default, and thus only useful for cases where someone reading the code might otherwise assume that you are or had intended to use distinct.

Puto me cogitare, ergo puto me esse.
    I think that I think, therefore I think that I am.

• The problem with the original explanation is this

COUNT(convert(int,NULL)) - It will give count as 0 always. Don't know why it is giving 0 count however COUNT() function counts NULL values also.

Personally, I don't mind when the person who posted the question admits there is a gap in their understanding. I know the SSC community will fill it in.

• Nice question.....

• Rose Bud (4/18/2013)

Personally, I don't mind when the person who posted the question admits there is a gap in their understanding. I know the SSC community will fill it in.

Totally agreed.

I always check the discussion following the question to not only learn why the things happen the way the answer tells you but to learn many things related to the original question that I wouldn't easily find in any books.

I was gonna ask about the CONVERT(INT, NULL) returned 0 and then I found more than one explanation why that is so even before I could have touched the Reply button. ๐Ÿ˜€

And the explanation towards the myth about better performance using COUNT(1) today put icing on the cake. Thank you.

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
    http://www.softplan.com.br
    MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA

• select convert(int,NULL) from #temp returns 5 rows with value NULL in each row. So COUNT(convert(int,NULL)) will return 0, since count considers all the rows when we try to consider all the rows in a table eg count(*) or count(1) but if we want to count the rows of table wrt to a particular column โ€œcount()โ€ will return count of all non null values in that column.Hence it return 0 in the example

• select convert(int,NULL) will always return NULL

• Thanks you for the correction regarding COUNT(NULL). I found that in T-SQL it is not valid, but I think it works in some other dialects (I think it is valid in the standard SQL).

COUNT(*) returns the number of rows regardless of their contents while COUNT(CAST(NULL AS INT)) returns the count of non-NULL values within a column that contains only NULLs which will always be zero.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply