Converting SQL instance to a Cluster.

• Good Morning.

I am new to this forum so please be gentle. 🙂

We currently have a SQL 2005 instance running on a single server. We have recently purchased a second identical server along with a quorum drive with the aim of setting up an active/passive clustered SQL environment.

The second server and the quorum drive are fully configured and both servers can see the quorum drive. I have also created the virtual server that is needed and have configured microsoft clustering service.

All the databases and logs are currently held on the original server, obviously i need to get the data moved onto the quorum and a SQL cluster created and confgiured.

I am unsure as to the best practive to do this, I had thought about installing a second SQL instance on the original server (configuring the second server at the same time) and getting the cluster up and running and then simply using a DTS package to transfer the data across to the new instance. Obviously this would have the advantage of keeping the current system online.

If it's possible for someone to tell me if I'm on the right path with this i would be grateful. Any advice or experience gratefully received.

Thanks

Simon

• Simon

I think this is what I'd do:

(1) Back up all your databases

(2) Test that you can restore your backups to a completely separate server from your cluster

(3) Uninstall SQL Server from the cluster node that it is on

(4) Install SQL Server on the cluster

(5) Restore your databases to the new instance of SQL Server

John

• Thanks for your input, 🙂

I was trying to avoid any downtime, but I agree your solution would definately be the neatest answer.

• Hi

can we do a attach db here ?

"Keep Trying"

• Chirag (10/10/2007)

Hi

can we do a attach db here ?

Yes, I think that would work as well as backing up and restoring. The only problem I see is that you would then need an extra interruption to service while you are detaching the databases ready to be attached to the test server.

John

• Hello folks 🙂

I have spoken to few people about best practice on this. It would seem alot people set up a one node cluster, restore the databases to this and the reconfigure the app to look at this new instance.

Then uninstall the original stand alone instance, reinstall and bring it into the cluster.

Ill report back once it is done if anyone would be interested.

• S.Mason (10/9/2007)

Good Morning.

obviously i need to get the data moved onto the quorum and a SQL cluster created and confgiured.

I think you have to have two separate shared disks, one small for the cluster-quorum and another large one for the SQL-data. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280345/en-us

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply