Connection/Command Timeout

The Index Rebuilding worked for me.

• Ana, as long as you're trying to solve your problems/putting forth some effort, we'll do what we can to help. That's what we do!

I'll try to look at the stats tonight, at first glance they do not seem bad.

Andy

• Thanks Andy, you really cheer me up

I couldn´t sleep last night thinking about this problem could you believe it??

Binduram, so you run a DB Maint Plan??

Thanks every body 😀

quote:

The Index Rebuilding worked for me.

Ana

Ana

• Hi Andy, its me again, do you think it could be the transaction log?,

I have my hands tied up 🙁

could you please read your email PLEASE 😀

Thanks

quote:

Ana, as long as you're trying to solve your problems/putting forth some effort, we'll do what we can to help. That's what we do!

I'll try to look at the stats tonight, at first glance they do not seem bad.

Andy

Ana

Ana

• I doubt transaction log is affecting it any. The best way to rebuild your indexes is to create a maint plan (dont bother with the backup tab) that rebuilds the indexes and set it to run once in about 5 minutes. Alternatively, once the wizard is finished, look under jobs and you will see where the wizard has created the job - just right click and run it. How long depends on the size of the data.

Deletes will always be faster if there are no indexes to update, but we can't do much without indexes!

Just so Im clear, you're running a statement like 'delete from table', no where clause or joins or anything? How many rows in the table? How many indexes are there on the table?

Ultimately if you had a table with 10 kazillion rows, electing to delete all at once is slow because everything would have to be logged. If at all possible you want to do "chunks", however many you can delete in a reasonable amount of time...say 30 seconds or so. An easy way to do this is 'delete from table where pkey in (select top 500 pkey from table)'.

Andy

• Hi Andy, I try to run the plan that I made but I can not run it because it sayas that the Server Agent is not running, but if I put it START, it doesn´t start 🙁

Yes, your are right I just put:

DELETE FROM DEMAND_LINE_ITEM;

DELETE FROM DEMAND_SHPMNT; with no where clause or joins.

The First table has 19656 records

And the second one has: 20720 records

(if the tables has les than 15000 the query runs but if it grows I start having the problems)

The first table has 7 indexes

The second table has 2 indexes

Sorry if I ask this but what is a kazillion?

and "chunks"?

is pkey = primary key??

Did you read your mail???

Thanks andy 😀

Ana

Edited by - anamoji on 10/25/2001 4:56:20 PM

Ana

• Yes, I read the email. I think you should just increase the timeout and let it run.

Andy

• I agree. This isn't many rows, and more indexes than I like, but 7 isn't too many. You should be able to delete 20k rows in seconds.

BTW, how many is a "kazillion"?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Good morning 😀

yesterday they told me that they make a truncate to a table (or something else) they delete the log and than ask me to run it again, first it gave me the same error (I used the class without moving the command timeout) then I increase it and it works, but unfortunally I really don´t know why it works, they didn´t tell me what they did.

Thanks to all for your help and support. Because I don´t have a lot of expirence I´ll be writting you very often, I hope I don´t budder too much.

Have a great day 😀

Ana

Ana

• Not at all. We are glad to help.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply