Connection problem with linked server

• Hello everyone,

I have a problem with connecting to a linked server. The message I get is:

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "MONITORDATABASEMANAGEMENT" returned message "Communication link failure".

Msg 233, Level 16, State 1, Line 0

Named Pipes Provider: No process is on the other end of the pipe.

Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Line 0

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'.

I create the linked server through a stored procedure we use on all our servers for some monitoring jobs. The connection should be made under the security contxt of the current login. So I don't understand that the error says 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'. I am sysadmin on both machines and so is the account which is used to start the services.

This is the first time I get this error, other servers work fine. ANy ideas?

Markus

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Join the club!

Your case sound like you need to enable named pipes on the server you are linking to. If that is already enabled (and it requires a restart)...

If you run this query while on the first server (via remote desktop), does that work? If so, then the first thing you will need to do is make sure delegations are enabled and spns registered correctly. If that does not work then you are in the same boat I am in, and will need to invest at least 20 hours with Microsoft with no results...

I would give you more detail on delegation and spns but I really don't have the time, and the documentation is readily available in BOL and elsewhere, and MS is calling...

Terry

• Terry,

thanks for the response. Named pipes are enabled so that's not the issue. After moving TCP up the list I get anther error, but still Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON'

That's the part which is puzzeling me, because the linked server properties say that connections should be made under the current logins security context. I will check if the SPN is registered correctly. Maybe that will help.

Markus

• Just wanted to give an update. The SPN actually didn't solve the issue, but helped us to find the real problem.

What happened is that we had moved this server from another machine. During the uninstall of the old server it seems that the computer account has not been removed (correctly). Actually AD says account doesn't exist. After recreating the account everything works fine.

Markus

• Good to hear

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply