connection memory usage

• Hi all

How to I determine the total memory usage for all of my database user connections? I realise that sql*server will grab "minimum query memory" when the end-user runs DML, but I am having some trouble locating the pool of memory for end-user connections and the total consumed as a point in time measure.

I am currently using SQL*Probe, and tells me that each connection uses approx 40Kb. Where does this information come from? and is the connection memory pool part of a large memory structure?

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• I've seen that 40k figure documented a couple times, never thought to figure out where it came from. Not sure where to look just yet.

Could you give us some background on why you need to know this? Inquiring minds...

Andy

• Andy

Why not?? 🙂 i have a interest in understand the sqlserver kernal and how its going about allocating and using its memory structures, this is very handy when clients ask me and allows me to better predict growth requirements. I currently have a client that has around 110 concurrent users and wanted to know how memory was being allocated, even for idle connections.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com

• I give you credit for trying to get to the bottom of it, but at some point you have to call it a black box and be done with it!

Cynically speaking, if your client is counting RAM for connections...they don't have enough!

Andy

• It's good to know the dirty secrets of the application; however, you can get 1GB of ram for under $200. www.pricewatch.com

• Hi guys

Well ill tell you where all is came from....

I am currently using SQL*Probe (great tool btw)... and they have a graph showing total user memory at a point in time. For the life of me I cant work out how they are getting it and exactly what impact it has on memory usage...i know ram is cheap etc etc.. but in massive web-based apps, I would like with some sort of confidence to better predict (esp historically).. the usage (high usage may even mean crap code!).

Anyhow, ive asked them how they came up with the figure and will update the list from there.. 🙂

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com

• Hi all

Here is the query to get current connection memory usage as a point in time reading. From testing it doesnt seem to measure tempdb usage for the connection though.

select counter_name, cntr_value, object_name from sysperfinfo where

counter_name like 'Connection Memory%'

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com

• Hi all

Some more info I got from a training CD. I have yet to confirm this..

SQL*Server - v7.x

User(connect) 24Kb

Open DB 2880 bytes

Open object 276 bytes

Lock 96 bytes

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com

• Andy Warren - Monday, August 27, 2001 6:45 PM

I give you credit for trying to get to the bottom of it, but at some point you have to call it a black box and be done with it! Cynically speaking, if your client is counting RAM for connections...they don't have enough!Andy

Dear ArrogantAndy:  Your replies are  not at all useful.  Fortunately others posted  their memory investigation queries without the ego attached.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply