Connection Manager Password Problems

• Hi.

I have been using SSIS since 2005, I have used it extensively in 2008 and 2012. I now find that under no circumstances will SSIS remember a password. I have tried different security settings:

Don't save sensitive

Encrypt sensitive with user key

Encrypt sensitive with password

If I create a connection and test the connection immediately it works fine, but as soon as I close the connection manager the password is gone, even if Save Password is checked.

I set up a sensitive package parameter and stored the password there and then used this parameter on the connection. This does keep it's value but the connection manager seems to ignore it. So I cant even run any packages to test them in the IDE. This is driving me nuts!

This behavior seems to have started since installing Service Pack 3 for SQL 2012, has anyone else experienced this problem?

• Does ring a bell, isn't there a solution/Project wide security settings? (don't have BIDS/SSDT on the mobile)

😎

• Hi.

Thanks for the reply. It's working now. I deleted the entire solution and set it up again from scratch and it seems fine now. There must be a glitch in the works somewhere.

Tim.

• Eirikur Eiriksson (8/5/2016)

Does ring a bell, isn't there a solution/Project wide security settings? (don't have BIDS/SSDT on the mobile)

😎

Both the project and its packages have 'ProtectionLevel' attributes, which SSDT generally insists on being in concordance.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks Eirikur, I knew about the protection level having to be the same. The build fails anyway if they are not set the same at the solution and package level.

• Of course, it's best to use domain authenticated accounts or have your job supply the password externally at runtime. That way you don't end up with passwords embedded in your package and version control system.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply