Connecting to SQL Server 2012 through SQL Server Enterprise Manager fails

• Hi,

I'm trying to establish a connection to a SQL Server 2012 instance through SQL Server Enterprise Manager. I can create a connection to it through Query Analyzer and can ping the Server. When I try to register it in Enterprise Manager I can see the instance name in the Register SQL Server Wizard and after I enter the correct sa user and password I get the error 'Error 55555. severity 16, state 1 was raised, but no message with that error number was found in sys.messages.

Can anyone advise?

TIA

• Enterprise Manager's not going to be able to connect. I'll be surprised if it can even connect to SQL 2005, much less 2012.

Why are you still using 14 year old client tools?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The company refuse to pay and have not paid for the support and development of one of their systems for over 10 years. The database is un-upgradeable from SS2000 because the unsupported CRM application will not run under any other SQL Server version. Any more questions?

• But if there is a SQL Server 2012 instance, you can download and install SQL Server Management Studio for no cost. Actually, I don't even think you need to have an instance. Pretty sure if you head over to MSDN you can download SSMS directly.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• SQL Server 2014 Management Studio Express is free.

Download it here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42299

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Finally some helpful ideas. I'll download and give this a shot. Thanks guys.

• dapoole (10/17/2014)

Finally some helpful ideas.

If you find that any advice given to you was below your standards of quality, the people that gave you the advice will gladly refund the money you paid them.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (10/17/2014)

dapoole (10/17/2014)

If you find that any advice given to you was below your standards of quality, the people that gave you the advice will gladly refund the money you paid them.

😀

• Koen Verbeeck (10/17/2014)

dapoole (10/17/2014)

Except that zero advice was offered on which to judge a quality of standard. My opening post was however quite clear in that I was asking for advice. If none is offered then what's the point of replying to a thread?

• dapoole (10/17/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (10/17/2014)

dapoole (10/17/2014)

Except that zero advice was offered on which to judge a quality of standard. My opening post was however quite clear in that I was asking for advice. If none is offered then what's the point of replying to a thread?

Gail asked why you're using 14 year old client tools, which sound very much like "don't use 14 year old client tools".

Isn't that advice?

Here's a good read for you.

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/ask-questions-politely-correctly/

-- Gianluca Sartori

• spaghettidba (10/17/2014)

dapoole (10/17/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (10/17/2014)

dapoole (10/17/2014)

Gail asked why you're using 14 year old client tools, which sound very much like "don't use 14 year old client tools".

Isn't that advice?

Here's a good read for you.

http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/ask-questions-politely-correctly/

No, to me advice would be... I can see you are using 14 year old client tools, have you tried using x or running y?

Thanks for the link, however, I believe my original question and request for advice was quite clear.

• I see. I'm not Gail's advocate, but you should also consider that she may have asked to know if you had constraints against using the new client tools. Actually, she was giving you a better service than I did recommending the new SSMS without knowing if you could use it or not.

Be nice and you'll be treated nicely.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• I guess everybody has their own expectations and one, for me at least, is that I would have expected much more of a concise offering of advice from a 'Microsoft Certified Master'. Especially when you consider that this forum consists of a worldwide multitudinous collective of variable knowledge and experience. But, clearly that must be just me expecting too much.

My enquiring mind only brings me here because I want to learn from others experiences, so I'm not sure where exactly I've not been nice. If it has been infered by someone, well that is not my issue/problem, nor was it my genuine reason to post such a valid question.

Anyway, back to the original point of this thread. Downloading and installing the SSMS tools although lets me connect to the servers, I cannot use the tool to setup my desired replication. I'm guessing this is another problem of using modern tools on a 14 year old unsupported database. Of which I will have to post yet another genuine thread seeking 'masterly' advice, and of which I quess I can expect further abrupt, obtuse replies/questions on the reason why I'm trying to administrate a legacy system on a shoestring. Sigh!

• dapoole (10/17/2014)

I cannot use the tool to setup my desired replication.

What kind of replication are you trying to set up?

-- Gianluca Sartori

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply