Connecting and working with SQL server in SSMS without WMI is extremely slow.

• Hi All,

I have a slightly weird situation; on one PC that is domain connected, opening SSMS and connecting and working in the server is fast and responsive.  Through this PC, there is ICS (internet connection sharing) enabled to expand this connection to other PC's in the local network (this ICS is required, I can't get away from that unfortunately)...

For all other PC's on the local network, they don't have WMI capability to the server (they're not domain connected) and they have the little blue question mark on the server icon once connected.

However, connecting to the server and working with the server is extremely slow; it can take up to a few minutes for objects to load or queries to run, but performing the same actions on the domain connected PC is fine.

I can only deduce that the slowness has something to do with ICS (however this should just be passing traffic) but given WMI isn't working, I'm wondering if this could be part of the issue.

The SMSS version I've tested is both 18.6 and 18.4

Has anyone encountred any issues like this before - but more importantly, does anyone know how to resolve?

Thanks

Anubis.

• Hi All,

The issue has been resolved due to a routing configuration problem in the local network behind the PC with ICS; after correcting the routing, all PC's respond normally.

Thanks

Anubis.

• Happy you found the answer to the issue.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply