Connect to a distant server across the Internet

• I've been beating on this for several days, and feel I've missing some obvious point.

We had a working situation where a SQL 2005 instance running on a Win2003 server could connect to and administer a remote SQL Server 2008 Express instance. We have now upgraded to a SQL Server 2008 instance on a Win 2008 server, and cannot connect to the remote 2008 Express instance. I created an alias identical to the prior one, with the appropriate IP address and port settings, opened the Windows 2008 Server firewall for SQL Server to any SQL Server even on the Internet, and I get a message indicating that the server cannot be contacted, or that remote connections are not allowed. (They are configured to be allowed however.) I then created a .UDL file using the alias information, and the Test Connection to the appropriate database on the remote server works as it should.

The fact that the .UDL file works indicates to me the that setting for the alias of the remote server are working correctly, and also indicates that the firewall is behaving as it should, and so is the router in terms of passing SQL Server TCP traffic on the default port. Also, I am using Integrated Security in both the .UDL and in Management, with the same name defined at both servers - however the domain is different, but it worked previously with the same arrangement.

Any suggestions on things I might have missed would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Well, it appears the issue is with defining an Alias in SQL Server 2008. The post in Remote Connection Problems from Server, Management Studio 2008 prompted me to try using the IP address, and voila - it connected. So what is the deal with aliases in 2008. I had defined the alias in SQL Server Configuration Manager under the Native Client 10 category, and used that alias in the .UDL file and it worked. Any insight on aliases would be appreciated.

Wendell Bell

Wendell
    Colorful Colorado
    You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

• Well, it turns out to have been a small configuration issue with the Alias configuration. If you are using an alias to connect to a 32-bit SQL Server installation, it has to be defined in the 32-bit section of Configuration Manager. I had defined it under the 64-bit section. Hopefully this will be of use to someone else.

Wendell
    Colorful Colorado
    You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

• Thanks for the update. I was going to suggest IP connections.

The networking gets a little funny at times for SQL Server since we are so used to using the Windows host name. I suggest going with FQDN (fully qualified domain names) since that makes it less ambiguous how the connection is being made.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply