Confio Ignite tool for measuring SQL waits and performance

• Has anyone used this tool?

http://www.confio.com/English/Products/Ignite_for_SQL_Server.php

Any feedback on how good this tool is, strengths and weeknesses?

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Marios,

I think Ignite8 is a wonderful tool, but my opinion is a bit biased.

Ignite8 places an emphasis on wait events as part of the "waits and queues" performance methodology made popular by Tom Davidson's 2005 whitepaper.

I'd be happy to walk you through a demo of the product. We also have IgniteVM which easily displays performance information at the database, guest O/S, host, and storage layers so you can correlate performance with specific SQL statements.

----------------------
    https://thomaslarock.com

• Unlike Tom, I am not a Confio Evangelist.:-D

My opinion on the tool - two thumbs up.

If you have the opportunity to use - take that advantage.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I've been using Ignite for a couple of years now, and consider it a great tool.

For example, when I first started using it, we had a situation where a code rollout had been done the night before, and now suddenly the database server was totally slammed, web pages were timing out, and nobody knew precisely why. Ignite immediately identified the exact piece of SQL code that was causing the problem, which was a piece of a UDF that being called dozens of times per page load. Would have taken hours to identify the problem through normal means, Ignite found it immediately. Took about 2 minutes to fix, from when things started to go downhill to when they were actually fixed.

So, yeah, it's a good product.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks all!

Since my post three and a half years ago, I have had the chance to use IGNITE extensively and am now a devoted fan. This tool has become an integral part of my performance tuning routine. One small peeve I have - and this also applies to other tools I have seen - job names are not displayed, but the job ids (those ugly long sequences of symbols that one has to convert manually through a lookup in the msdb sysjobs table). If IGNITE could display the job names directly without that tiresome manual conversion needed, it would be near perfection, as far as I am concerned. Until my next pet peeve... 🙂

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Marios Philippopoulos (4/1/2012)

Thanks all!

Since my post three and a half years ago, ...

D'oh - I didn't even notice the date on your post. I just saw that Tom's response was recent.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (4/1/2012)

Marios Philippopoulos (4/1/2012)

Thanks all!

Since my post three and a half years ago, ...

D'oh - I didn't even notice the date on your post. I just saw that Tom's response was recent.

Wow...i didn't see that date either!

----------------------

• Marios,

I'm glad you are enjoying Ignite8. I have submitted an enhancement request to have the job name appear in the GUI. I believe I may be able to offer you a workaround for this, I just need to code something up and check it here locally. Drop me an email at the Confio support email address and I can get your request into my queue.

Thanks again for your kind words!

Tom

----------------------

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply