Concurrency Issues

• We are experiencing an issue in one of our databases where queries are timing out except when using read only concurrency. This issue is not happening on our development version of the database.

We suspect that the vendor (who has extensive rights) may have made a configuration change to the database but we haven't been able to identify what change that might have been.

Has anyone experiences a similar issue and, if so, do you have any suggestions for diagnosing and resolving it?

• my gut reaction would be to make sure there are no open transactions.

you may have long running transactions also. (Transactions are taking way too long to complete)

I don't know that a configuration change would cause this behavior, unless the db transaction isolation level was changed to serialzable.

• It's hard to rule this out. We aren't seeing long running transactions but this is a high-transaction database.

We're going to try to see if we can do some load testing on the dev server in the hopes of reproducing the problem.

• In development environment usually, there is less load on the server (obviously), which is hosting the database hence the response time for the query is faster. But if the database is in a shared environment, the same query might take more time and hence get timed out.

Check the query time out for the server. If required increase it, if possible.

What I hear I forget, what I see I remember, what I do I understand

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply