Conceptual Question Replicating Data from standalone SQL Server to AWS Cloud

• AWS-Architect (3/10/2016)

Support and ongoing upgrades are included, and it works with RDS SQL Server Web Edition. Supporting your custom solution won't cost less. I am an independent consultant. It works for me. I need to do the job fast. Going the WSFC and native SQL AlwaysOn route does not work for me on AWS.

Also, can your custom solution do this: http://cloudbasic.net/aws/rds/alwayson/benchmark/%5B/quote%5D

Whilst I can appreciate what the tool offers, its also outside the scope of what was being asked on this thread. Yes our home grown solution doesn't do all of what this product does but it was never designed with that intention. It was designed with the intention on replicating data from on premise SQL servers to AWS RDS instances (MySQL \ SQL Server) for one or more tables. Planning, development, testing an implementation was approximately 1 week on the solution its self and another 3 days on sorting out the security of the ACL's, security groups, SSL connections etc. So whilst the initial outlay in labour was considerably more than $600 the ongoing cost is zero. If we had used this type of software solution it would have cost us several times the initial costs over the period we have been live.

Each to their own and 3rd Party products do have their place, but when I'm responsible for ongoing spend on a system if we can achieve the net result we want even if it takes a little more time developing in house than buying in a product we will do so.

Its a common theme in using SaaS, costs can and do run out of control very quickly as the headline figures on x cents per hour make some solutions appear cheap, but when looked at over time can rack up very significant operating expenses.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply