com+ timeout problem?

• Hi all

Somewhat off topic perhaps but you never know.

End-users are running reports via ASP -> COM+ -> SQLServer. A very large report is submitted, hits sql*server (the query runs - transaction pops up when tracing via profiler with no errors but may not be actually returning data to the client) and then the client session seems to timeout.

We have:

a) COM+ - transaction timeout at 900sec

b) Remote Server connections (sql*server) query timeout - 900sec

c) IIS timeouts are default (60sec)

The timeout occurs reasonably quickly, ie. under 60sec.

The propogated error via ASP is that the method "method '~' of object '~' failed"

Running it standalone through the method via a VB app basically gives us a timeout error.

Run the query on SQLServer and all is ok?

On connection via ADODB, the developers only set the language.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris.

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Well, if the problem happens from the VB app then it's not IIS (though the 60 second thing is damn coincidental...be suspicious anyway!). Are they setting a command and connection timeout value for the ado connection and/or command object that is executing the query? When you run the query as plain sql directly against the server, it does execute ok, no errors? How long does it take to return results and how much data?

Andy

• You've ascertained that the SQL Server seems to be executing the query just fine.

By standing up something like NetMon or some similar network tool, you can tell whether or not the data is getting back. This will verify SQL Server is talking with the COM+ components.

One other thing to check is the processor usage on the system using COM+. The COM+ components may be the bottleneck. From what you've listed, this is where I'd suspect an issue because you say a "very large report" and depending on what processing is done on the COM+ side, you could have an issue.

K. Brian Kelley

bk@warpdrivedesign.org

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Hi all

Thanks for the replies. I had a closer look at the code. Basically the ADODB connection property (adoconnection.commandtimeout) default for query timeouts was returning 30secs, the report was taking 45secs on average. Programmatically altering this property has resolved the issue for now. Setting it is a tricky one especially when the app really loads up with users.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Kempster
    www.chriskempster.com
    Author of "SQL Server Backup, Recovery & Troubleshooting"
    Author of "SQL Server 2k for the Oracle DBA"

• Hi,

I'm happy that you were able to resolve this time out issue. I would appreciate it if you can help me to solve my sql timeout issue. Here is the problem, I am using VB Component through Com + to access a sql 2000 server. I get timeout errors occassionally. How did you setup Com + Transaction timout to be 900sec? Remote server connections to timeout in 900sec? and IIS to timeout 60Secs?

Your Notes:

thanks in advance,

jim

quote:

Hi all

Somewhat off topic perhaps but you never know.

End-users are running reports via ASP -> COM+ -> SQLServer. A very large report is submitted, hits sql*server (the query runs - transaction pops up when tracing via profiler with no errors but may not be actually returning data to the client) and then the client session seems to timeout.

We have:

The timeout occurs reasonably quickly, ie. under 60sec.

The propogated error via ASP is that the method "method '~' of object '~' failed"

Running it standalone through the method via a VB app basically gives us a timeout error.

Run the query on SQLServer and all is ok?

On connection via ADODB, the developers only set the language.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Chris.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply