Columnstore Indexes

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Columnstore Indexes

• Nice simple question.

After getting the 23rd Feb question wrong because I forgot that 2012 didn't include clustered columnstore I found this one rather easy.

Tom

• Gr8 question, thanx 🙂

Did anyone tried this feature before? And is there any actual performance gained?

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• As Tom Thomson wrote , it was easy to find the 2 good choices after the question of 02/23/2015.

Moreover , I was helped by 2 sessions about Columnstore indexes during the SQL Server days and the TechDays 2014 ( I am happy to have a good remembrance ) even if it is not one of my favorite topics.

So thanks Dawn Strickrott

• Hany Helmy (3/15/2015)

Gr8 question, thanx 🙂

Did anyone tried this feature before? And is there any actual performance gained?

I tried just a little. The answer is as usual "depends".

If you query the whole table, there's a gain.

• Can only create nonclustered columnstore index in SQL Server 2012

This makes it seem like you could only create nonclustered columnstore indexes in SQL 2012, but not in 2014. At least how I interpret it 🙂

Anyway, I got it correct as only one single correct answer seemed a bit few.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Carlo Romagnano (3/16/2015)

Hany Helmy (3/15/2015)

Gr8 question, thanx 🙂

The point of columnstore indexes is that there should be a tremendous gain when you only read a few columns, because the columnstore indexes will only read those columns, while traditional row store tables/indexes have to read all rows/pages and filter the unnecessary columns out.

• Got it right! Playing euromillion today! (I work with 2008)

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Thanks for the question!

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Koen Verbeeck (3/16/2015)

Can only create nonclustered columnstore index in SQL Server 2012

This makes it seem like you could only create nonclustered columnstore indexes in SQL 2012, but not in 2014. At least how I interpret it 🙂

Yup, same interpretation here. I spent a few seconds trying to figure out if someone would be so tricky as to provide only one correct answer, and decided that they might.

C'est la vie.

🙂

• Jacob Wilkins (3/16/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (3/16/2015)

Can only create nonclustered columnstore index in SQL Server 2012

Yup, same interpretation here. I spent a few seconds trying to figure out if someone would be so tricky as to provide only one correct answer, and decided that they might.

C'est la vie.

🙂

You have no faith in people 😀

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Koen Verbeeck (3/16/2015)

Carlo Romagnano (3/16/2015)

Hany Helmy (3/15/2015)

Gr8 question, thanx 🙂

The point of columnstore indexes is that there should be a tremendous gain when you only read a few columns, because the columnstore indexes will only read those columns, while traditional row store tables/indexes have to read all rows/pages and filter the unnecessary columns out.

+1

(fyi. just posted your statistical mode calculation post on linkedin, very helpful, thank for the article)

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply