Coding With Music

• For years I have tried to get silence, finding that music (and all other types of noise) really cuts into my ability to focus.

Recently however, I discovered that white noise really helps me shut out distractions and helps me focus

Try it

http://www.simplynoise.com/

HTH

Steve

• This may sound wierd but at home I like New Age on softly as background, but working in my cube and having to use headphones I find I cannot turn the volume down low enough.

Hmm... I think I will bring in my noise-cancelling headphones and try that. If it works I will let you know.

• I find that I can't type as fast as I think and in my head, I get ahead of my code. This can sometimes leave me trying to catch up on the keyboard. I find myself trying to recall current thoughts while coding recent thoughts.

So for me, music in my head forces me to cycle-share and slow down my codeing thoughts just enough so I can keep up. Sound weird? That's my theory anyway.

• I tried this now, but perceived that can use it for sound callibration on a room or concert room.... not for cancelling my dog....

Ok, rolling back to Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos hehe...

(oops.. noob-myself-detected... that supposed to be a reply about pink noise website post..)

• I find that piano music such as Debussy, John Ireland, Howells listened to through colleague-canceling headphones is perfect for the concentration.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• As usual for a DBA, the answer is... IT DEPENDS. Entirely on my mood. Sometimes listening to music helps me to focus and other times it's a complete distraction.

• Like others in this thread, it depends. When I need to learn something new or troubleshoot a tough item I like silence. When it is something I can code to and know what needs to be done it can be silence or music. In my ideal times, I get to be near an open window and hear the sounds of the outdoors/nature and that is the best.

• I would be lost without the ability to listen to my music. It has to be music I'm very familiar with though, so I'm not straining to pick out melodies or lyrics. I often get to the end of a favourite album only to realise I didn't even notice when the best track was playing. But it does help block out distractions - I'm a terrible eavesdropper!

• iPod and earphones are a part of my work gear. I have to have them!

• Given life in a cube farm, headphones are essential. I use music, podcasts, and the occational DivX movie (minimized of course) with good music to drown out the chatter. This is extremely useful when I need to work through a process uninterrupted, as each distraction can cause me to have to start at the beginning again. Not to mention that people tend to leave you alone when you have headphones or even a headset on.

• While my mood often dictates what I would like to listen to, I listen to music probably 1/3 of the time I am developing software. It is clear that when I am listening to music my productivity is increased significantly. I have less distractions because of the music and things click better. After a day of listening to music it is clear that I have accomplished much more than the average day. To each their own, for me it works.

• In the cubicle world - I think headphones and music are a must. The type of music listened to usually corresponds with what I need to accomplish. If I just need to knock out code, I think the Black Keys work well - loud and a nice pace. If I need to think, I go classical or a New Orleans jazz.

Give me an office and I would still have music playing in the background, seems to force the brain to organize thoughts better. Some people can block out noise, which in my office, is impressive.

Cheers
    http://twitter.com/widba
    http://widba.blogspot.com/

• I am a musician and most music tends to distract me as I start listening rather than doing.

But I've always found chamber music more fun to play than to listen too and that works very well for me. When I need to move the work along, an upbeat Mozart quartet can do the job for me. It seems to keep the neurons firing and my thought processes ride that wave. That might be related to the idea that Mozart helps babies learn.

When it's time to break, some classic rock or Irish trad does the job. New age or other elevator/office music puts me to sleep.

• Growing up with parents who have masters degree in music has placed music as a core feature in my life. So, more often than not, I have a pair of headphones stuck in my ear while typing out SQL. Usually I prefer instrumental music since there are no words to capture my attention. Sometimes, while observing a webinar that's seems to be dragging, I'll also play music quitely which seems to aid in ensuring my attention doesn't wandered -- similar to how background music adds to the experience of a movie -- take away the soundtrack and suddenly everything on screen gets a bit dull.

• Bloomberg Radio for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 126 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply