• ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[fn_FindProcedures]

(

@Text varchar(100)

)

RETURNS TABLE

AS

RETURN

(

SELECT DISTINCT A.Name FROM SysObjects A INNER JOIN SysComments B ON A.ID = B.ID AND

B.Text like '%' + @Text + '%'

)

• Thanks for the handy search tool! Very nice work! ...and also a very nice looking utility.

And with that thought in mind, when you say "Developing software in companies can be a grind...", I say, if you dont think of software as an art, and therefore, yourself as an artist - you should not be in the software development business.

...after all, yes, sometimes a grind, but it beats serving Big Macs all day and saying "Do you want fries with that?".

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • SQL Search is a very nice tool, but unfortunately it's not going to be free for long:

Will SQL Search be free forever?

No. SQL Search will be free for as long as it is a standalone tool.

Eventually, SQL Search will be come part of SQL Prompt and will no longer be available on its own as a standalone tool.

http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Search/faq.htm

Given Red Gate's policy of forcing their "free" tools to expire and requiring users to download the latest version, how long will it be before this tool starts demanding money to work? πŸ™

• blandry,

I think most things become a grind at some point. Even the things you love will be work at times. And lots of it is in your attitude. As long as you are excited by your work, it will help you to enjoy it. I thought this was a great idea for bringing back some of the excitement in the job of building software.

• richardd (2/2/2010)

SQL Search is a very nice tool, but unfortunately it's not going to be free for long:

Given Red Gate's policy of forcing their "free" tools to expire and requiring users to download the latest version, how long will it be before this tool starts demanding money to work? πŸ™

Tools cost money to build. I'm not sure there's a problem with someone charging for their work. I'm sure you charge for the work you do.

If I remember, Red Gate has given tools away for free when they were early in life, and not necessarily completely built. When there wasn't a lot of value, they've given things away for free. SQL Prompt was free early one when it was a somewhat flaky product. I would expect that once this tools gains features and more functionality, that it might be worth paying for.

On the flip side, Log Rescue is free, and was changed from a paid product to a free one. Development was stopped after SQL 2000, and the software was released, not bottled up and abandoned as many companies do with software.

• Way back in time (1970s) the Monsanto Chemical company where by corporate head quarters employees could select their path for advancement, that is technical or managerial. Each year the employee's of each path would vote to elect an individual for the title of "Master". A most prestigious award, those elected received a one time bonus, and if memory serves me correctly it was 50 thousand (USD) after income tax, plus private office and secretary. The best part, those individuals with the title of "Master" were authorized, and were paid for, an annual 6 month period of time, to investigate, develop, brain storm whatever they desired. It did not have to be connected to any existing product produced by Monsanto. Talk about an incentive, and yes many new products/techniques grew out of these sabbaticals. I was fortunite enough to work as a outside IT consultant with a "Master" who in a sabbatical developed the idea for a hormone injection for milk cows, so as to increase milk production. Over the years its development was continued/refined and it eventually became a Monsanto product sold world wide.

I wonder if this program is still in existence at Monsanto ..

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I'd heard of the benefit at Google that allows employees to work on outside projects on company time. It's an investment for them to do so, but it's an excellent motivational tool for their team members. Breaking up the workday/week with technical projects that aren't necessarily related to the business is a good way to keep skills sharp and develop outside-the-box problem solving skills.

Tim Mitchell, Microsoft Data Platform MVP
    Data Warehouse and ETL Consultant
    TimMitchell.net | @Tim_Mitchell | Tyleris.com
    ETL Best Practices

• We have a mandatory "retreat" where we go for offsite for 4-5 days. If I was single, it would be great. As a family man with young kids, its a sacrifice for myself and more so for my wife. There is not enough structure for me to get much done while away, but its required...

[font="Arial Narrow"]bc[/font]

• I think this is an excellent idea. Make it a little better and let the family oriented employee take the family. More of a perk at that point. Employees need to have time to work on their personal projects - which ultimately benefit the company.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Where do I sign up? πŸ˜€

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• A company called Social Strata in Seattle just offered its employees unlimited paid time off. Unfortunately they are not hiring. I checked...

• Edogg (2/2/2010)

A company called Social Strata in Seattle just offered its employees unlimited paid time off. Unfortunately they are not hiring. I checked...

What's the catch?

Learn Extended Events

• The catch is that it's a small company of only 14 people so everyone knows when you’re not in the office.

• That kind of company, they probably all invested in the business too.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply