COALESCE question

• I have the following:

SELECT [Date], uShiftID, Case_Code, SUM(coalesce(Case_Count,0)) AS Case_Count, SUM(Case_Sched) AS Case_Sched, Product

FROM dbo.vw_Daily_CaseCounts AS dcc

WHERE dcc.[date]>='9/23/2009'

GROUP BY [date], uShiftID, Case_Code, Product

The data is still returning NULL when Case_Count is NULL and I thought this would return 0? Is there some syntax error that I am missing?

Thanks

• Actually, I got it. The query in my post is a sub-select statement. I put the coalesce in the main select and it works.

• SUM(coalesce(Case_Count,0)) ...should return 0 when Case_Count IS NULL. I would try it on a narrow result set without the other aggregate and without the other attributes.

• SSSolice (9/23/2009)

SUM(coalesce(Case_Count,0)) ...should return 0 when Case_Count IS NULL. I would try it on a narrow result set without the other aggregate and without the other attributes.

This is true so long as there is a row that matches his criteria. If you're doing the sum of a nullable column and you have joins/criteria etc. that could leave you in a situation of having no rows to sum, you need to wrap the sum in a coalesce as well.

IE. COALESCE(SUM(COALESCE(Case_Count,0)),0)

The inner coalesce handles any individual case_counts that are null, the outer one handles not having any case_counts to sum in the first place.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply