Clustering and Disk Access

• So an active/active cluster configuration means a single bus on a single array...

Can a physical disk be broken into 2 logical drives (F/G) and servera would access logical drive F while serverb would access logical drive G (on the same physical drive)?

Does the clustering control go down to logical drive level or can only one of the active servers access a physical disk at a time?

Sorry if it's a dumb question. I just saw in one forum elsewhere that active/active SQL clustering requires multiple drive arrays.

Any recommendations on Cluster-aware SCSI controllers. DELL seems to push PERC3/DC or PERC3/DI. Which PERC is needed. QLogic? Adaptec?

Again, I'll be contacting my DELL rep soon as well. Since I'm spending $25K or so I'm sure they'll provide some level of pre-sales service. I just want to make sure I know all the details first.

• Steve,

I don't think they can, and I offer one solution to why it shouldn't if it could. The whole point of clustering is to have a highly available server. If you have one physical disk and logically split it into 2 and run an act/act cluster with each node owning/using one logical partition of the drive and the drive fails, you will loose both nodes of the cluster.

Creating a single point of failure for both nodes.

Hope this helps

Tom Goltl

• I was actually planning on protecting that drive via RAID 1 (mirroring).

So that would cover the single point of failure.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply