Cluster server max memroy increase

• Hi GUys,

I want to know how to increase the max memory value from 8GB to 12GB in cluster Env. Here we have active/passive cluster(2 node) (windows 2003 64Bit with SQL SERVER 2005 ENt edition 64 bit). Currently the max memory value is 8 GB. We have more memory available on the Server, So We want to Increase Max memory to 12GB. So My idea is: Login to Virtual Server and open Management Studio and execute following query:

use master

Go

exec sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;

Go

RECONFIGURE;

GO

exec sp_configure 'max server memory', 12288

go

reconfigure with override

go

Then I have to restart the SQL Service. This restart will failover the cluster to second node. So Should this procedure need to run on second node also or not ?

Is there any other way to increase the max memory in cluster environement ?

Plz suggest me. I appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks

AKP

• You need not to repeat this thing on other node since it is actice/passive configuration ,so after runnnig the query you have mentioned or right click on the instance and go to properties and change the memory setting you wants and then go to cluster adminstrator and put the sql server offline and bring online this way no failover will happen and aslo your memory setting will become active too.

HTH...

• You do not need to cycle SQL Server for this change. Changing memory is dynamic and the additional memory will be immediately available.

The only time you need to cycle SQL Server when changing memory is when you are reducing the value *and* you need that change to be immediate. When you reduce the memory value, SQL Server will not immediately release the memory back to the OS - but will over time.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Hi AKP,

You can cange the Max memory setting using TSQL as you have already mentioned or through SSMS-->Rt Click on the Instance --> Properties --> Memory --> Enter 12288 for MAX Memory.

Sql server needn't be restarted for the changes to become effective and it needn't be configured on the second node.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy.

• Thanks all of you guys for your valuable suggestions.

Thanks

AKP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply