Cluster file share resource SQL Server FILESTREAM share failed to start with error 2118.

• I have a windows cluster when during scheduled failovers I get the message.

Cluster file share resource SQL Server FILESTREAM share failed to start with error 2118.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306684

Start Cluster Administrator and take the File Share resource offline.

Start Computer Management.

Expand the System Tools, Shared Folders, and Shares items.

Right-click any duplicates for the share, and then click Stop Sharing.

Bring the file share resource back online.

I follow the instructions on the link and look for duplicate file share but do not find one.

I do find the fileshare on the passive node and it does not disappear when I take offline File Share resource using cluster admin.

Is it possible there is an extra file share is on the passive causing the error or maybe its a timing thing where the resource is not freed up by the other node quickly enough?

I have thought of disabling FILESTREAM to see if it knocks things straight. This is a production cluster so I will need to schedule any actions.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help

David Bird

• run NET SHARE on the passive node and check the output

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• You shouldn't see the share on the passive node if the cluster is configured correctly.

Did you create the share in cluster admin, or in windows explorer?

Do you have dependencies setup correctly so that disks come up first, shares next then sql server?

• Perry Whittle (10/27/2011)

run NET SHARE on the passive node and check the output

And, if you see the share on the passive node, delete it. Cluster service creates it when bringing the res group online.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply