Clownpocalypse and DR

• Gary Varga (10/27/2016)

Matt Miller (#4) (10/27/2016)

ZZartin (10/26/2016)

So as long as we're planning for floods we should be good against seltzer on the server racks?

Not sure on that one.

I for one was trying to get a feel for what to do when BOTH the clownpocalypse and zombiepocalypse happened on the same day. Do you stay with your original plan and support the clowns in taking down the zombies? or find a way to turn the clowns into zombies and THEN execute on the DR plan?

School boy mistake. Let them whittles each others numbers down then send in the mimes to finish the rest off.

I was thinking of holding the mimes back to deal with the orcs, but - yeah that could still work

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Zomies?! Orcs?! Haven't you guys got better things to do with your time than sit in the server room playing Dungeons & Dragons?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Better? No. Obligations? Yes. :crying:

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Eric M Russell (10/27/2016)

Zomies?! Orcs?! Haven't you guys got better things to do with your time than sit in the server room playing Dungeons & Dragons?

Clearly not if I've had time to create a full DR plan for the zombie apocalypse....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (#4) (10/27/2016)

Eric M Russell (10/27/2016)

Zomies?! Orcs?! Haven't you guys got better things to do with your time than sit in the server room playing Dungeons & Dragons?

Clearly not if I've had time to create a full DR plan for the zombie apocalypse....

Excellent response!

• Forget about Zombies and Killer Clowns, it's far more likely your database server will be subjected to attacks from IoT enabled refrigerators and toilets.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (10/31/2016)

Forget about Zombies and Killer Clowns, it's far more likely your database server will be subjected to attacks from IoT enabled refrigerators and toilets.

I could take on the fridge but the toilet? Toiletgeddon!!!

Gaz

• Gary Varga (10/31/2016)

Eric M Russell (10/31/2016)

Forget about Zombies and Killer Clowns, it's far more likely your database server will be subjected to attacks from IoT enabled refrigerators and toilets.

Mark my word, the day will come when all online banking and eCommerce will grind to a halt, because ignorant American consumers arn't resetting the default password on their toilets.

THE WEST WILL FALL !!!

Doubt it ???

• Eric M Russell (10/31/2016)

Gary Varga (10/31/2016)

Eric M Russell (10/31/2016)

Mark my word, the day will come when all online banking and eCommerce will grind to a halt, because ignorant American consumers arn't resetting the default password on their toilets.

THE WEST WILL FALL !!!

Doubt it ???

How prescient will the expression of "The Sh*t Hitting The Fan" be then!!!

Gaz

• Geoff.Sturdy wrote:

Grant - its likely to be Solar EMP rather than Solar Radiation - look up carrington event.

.. and the Sun HAS been behaving in an unpredictable manner this Solar cycle :blink:

Geoff.Sturdy wrote:

Grant - its likely to be Solar EMP rather than Solar Radiation - look up carrington event.

.. and the Sun HAS been behaving in an unpredictable manner this Solar cycle :blink:

Extra-solar radiation is radiation from outside our solar system. Think a universe level Carrington event (which, yeah, I know about, I love the concept, but not the reality, of telegraph wires simply exploding into flame because of the excess radiation, that's so nuts).

However, yeah, the last few solar cycles have been a pain. No indications of changes for the better.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Just remember: if you're ever attacked by clowns, go for the juggler. (jugular)

• One sad day years ago early in my IT career, before databases, it turned out I was the clown.  We were entering orders into a flat-file open order system from which we then printed order picking documents for the warehouse crew.  During the process we would copy  the data entry file periodically.

At one point we experienced file corruption so I deleted the current file and renamed the backup.  We thought all was good until the backup was found to be corrupt also.

So I deleted that file and - Oh, SH!T.

So we spent the next hour-plus collecting paper documents from the warehouse crew so the data entry people could  re-key all the orders for the day while they waited.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• Oh please. We don't have to list all the times we screwed up do we? My list is going to take a long time to compile. I think I'll have to build a database. Anyone here know anything about databases?

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply