Close to breaking point - updating table thru ASP

• Hi, 1st post, please excuse any rule breaking. I've been trying to update a table thru ASP, and tried many diffrent ways to update the fields. Here's the code, the variables are passed from a form, this page is the 'form action'.

txtSupportID=request.querystring("LogNo")

txtEngineer=request.querystring("Engineer")

txtProgress=request.querystring("Progress")

txtFixDate=Date()

Set dbConn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

dbConn.open "PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;DATASOURCE=Internal;UID=sqlweb;PWD=internal;DATABASE=SupportDB;"

strSQL = "select * from helpdesk where SupportID = 'txtSupportID'"

Set RS = dbConn.Execute(strSQL)

Dim SQLStmt

SQLStmt = "UPDATE helpdesk SET progress = 'txtProgress' where SupportID = 'LogNo'"

dbConn.Execute(SQLStmt)

I've also put in a couple of document.write statements containing the above txtVariables,

to check that they're being passed, which they are.

I don't get any error messages, and don't get any table updates either!

• SQLStmt = "UPDATE helpdesk SET progress = 'txtProgress' where SupportID = 'LogNo'"

should read

SQLStmt = "UPDATE helpdesk SET progress = 'txtProgress' where SupportID = 'txtSupportID'"

• Your update statement should be

SQLStmt = "UPDATE helpdesk SET progress = '" & txtProgress & "' where SupportID ='" & LogNo & "'"

• I'd tried that method before and got no joy, it looks like it's worked that time, thanks.

I need to add extra parameters to the SET

line, but I think I'm on to a winner now, cheers.

Edited by - JonTout on 11/08/2001 06:05:11 AM

• Glad it worked, Jon.

One thing that I do: write out your sql using response.write. Then cut and paste into Query Analyzer to check for syntax errors.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply