Cloning a Server with SQL installed

• We have a windows Server 2012 with SQL Server 2014 installed.  The VM guys just cloned the server via VMWare to make a new server with a new name.

I cannot get the SQL Service to start on the cloned server and I am getting the following error in the SQL Error log when it tries to start

Unable to load user-specified Certificate [Cert Hash(sha1) ["hashNumber"].  The server will not accept a connection.  You should verify that the certificate is correctly installed.  See "Configure Certificate for Use by SSL" in Books Online.

I have tried the following

-I turned off Force encryption in configuration Manager - No dice

-I deleted the certificate in MMC (old server cert) - No Dice

-I added the service account to the Local Administrators group - No Dice

-I added the service account to the local security policies required for SQL Server - No Dice

-I check the permissions to the SQL folder and they are the same as the original server.  The SQL Service account is not listed in the security tab of either server

-I tried to run a repair on SQL Server to see if that helps - No dice, the repair failed saying it could not start the database service…

-I tried to update the service account from Virtual Service Account to the Local Service and I get the message “Cannot Find object or property. [0x80092004] – so I did execute mofcomp sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof to register the classes in the file to the WMI repository and it was successful, but could not start the service and still get the error when trying to change the service account

I have ordered a new Network Encryption Certificate and will install it and try tomorrow.

Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

• Yes, thanks for the reply that was exactly what it was.  I will mark your reply as answer.

I had to replace the registry key like he mentions in the article and the service started up fine

Jeff

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply