Client found response content type Error on RS

• I'm having this same problem. However, I have never renamed this server, it's just never worked.

I created all-new virtual directories using the default settings, and still nothing. I am almost to the point of removing Reporting Services and starting over from scratch.

I am unable to delete the encryption key and create a new one, although this may be a completely separate issue.

• Same issue here!

I need a sollution

• I'm working on this same problem too and I will try to update this post as I work this out. If you have found a solution since your last post, please reply.

Depending on the location where the virutal folder in IIS was created this seems to be the cause of many similar problems. Int the RSreportServer.config when the URLRoot is wrong this will cause problems. For the guy who moved servers or changed IIS virtual folders this is your fix.

Find this tag and correct it and you should be in business.

There are undoubtedly other problems that can be traced back to the ISS config for the site, so that's another place to look. If you have a great resource for understanding this configuration post a link.

Good Luck

Doug

• Know this is late but I thought I'd document my fix for this.

Open IIS and browse ReportServer. This gives an indication of the problem.

In my case, the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.3\Reporting Services\ReportServer\rsreportserver.config file was inacssible.

I gave extra permissions to authenticated Users and it worked for me.

• I had this same problem as well. I ended up troubleshooting the following:

1) ASP.Net was completely updated

2) ASP and Active Server Pages were allowed in IIS

3) ensuring permissions were correct on my directory.

One thing I found that helped point in the right direction was going to the Event Viewr and looking at the logs; it eventually pointed me to the report server logs. Looking at the newest one I saw that something was getting access denied that ended up pointing me to item #3. Once i repushed security permissions on the folder through down to my rsreportserver.config file everything started working. This may not be the solution someone needs but it might get you started. Good Luck!

• I have the same problem as above. I have tried all the solutions. The only time I get the error is using SSL. I take it off and it works, however our site requires the ssl. If I put the SSL on it give the following error:

Client found response content type of 'text/html', but expected 'text/xml'. The request failed with the error message: ...

I have worked on this for two week no end. PLEASE if someone has the answer let me know.

• nicole, i'm just guessing, but the response header is what IIS wraps around response data. If you put a HTML type around a SSL certificate that might be the problem. I think the SSL certificate needs to by type XML.

Look in the response data sent to the browser and check out the tool HTTPWatch it will show you all the broswer activity. It's really cool.

Good Luck and post back anything you learn

Cheers

Doug

• Thank you for the information. I am not sure how to change what you are talking about. We did find out that whoever setup the server had IIS running in IIS 5 compatibility. So this was one error we located. Can you point me in the right direction on how to fix this problem you mentioned?

• Nicole, I wish I could offer you a quick fix. Let me try to explain what I know about response headers and what causes that error.

The wikipedia page below offers an explanation of HTTP responses. To see an actual header response type, just for fun, view the source of that page in your web browser you will see the response type is text/html.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_header_fields

The SSL handshake, as explained here: http://www.ourshop.com/resources/ssl_step2.html is obviously messsed up because the error you mentioned is that the response type expected is xml. And it appers the web site sent back regular HTML.

I'm just guessing, but It seems to me that your website config is causing a respose using HTML during the handshake process because it does not think the site is SSL, or there is some error in the install of the SSL certificate data (e.g the SSL certificate is installed incorrectly).

To recap, if the web site sent back the web page in HTML, when the browser was expecting to exhange SSL certificate data in XML format, then you'd have a problem. I think this is exactly what the browser is trying to tell you.

Sorry I can not be of more help. - Good luck

Doug

• Thanks for the information. I believe I found the problem, but cannot confirm. I just found out that they have Apache/TomCat running in IIS as well, under IIS 5, instead of 6. The network people are looking into the issue. Does anyone have information about running these services and Reporting Services as the same time?

• Apache / tomcat is a web server just like IIS. Tomcat does JSP pages, apache does basic HTML. As long as they are not using the same ports they should work just fine.

Doug

• You can use the port query tool from your developer machine to find out what ports are open on the server machine. The port query tool can be downloaded from the systernals site.

Doug

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply