Click value in one table, display results in another

• I am familiar with the concept of master detail tables and I have something I'm trying to do that seems so easy, but I can't find a way to do it.

I've gone through this suggestion: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/270924/Master-Details-Report-in-SSRS-2008 which allows you to create two data sets and use an action on the column. The problem with mine is, when I click on the column, the report get's refreshed and asks you for the original date parameter, it never populates the id I need to show the second table.

All I'm trying to do is display rows from table1 that have a key that is located as an FK in table2. I figured I would chose the cell that my id is being displayed in, right click for textbox properties, go to Action, pick Go to Report, pick the report I'm in, and add the parameters I need for the second table.

Like I mentioned though, when I click on the link, the page refreshes and I have to enter my original parameter for a date. Is there a way to send the id to the second table on the report and have it display? The dataset for the second table is waiting for the parameter, and I set the default of the id param to -1 so it doesn't fail.

Thanks

• Okay, so I've discovered that if I remove the initial parameter that I had looking for a date, and hard code it in my sql for dataset1, then everything works fine. I click on the id, and the second table fills with the data I need.

Does anyone know how to allow for a parameter that is entered initially to be saved for the refresh?

• Matthew Cushing (10/16/2012)

Okay, so I've discovered that if I remove the initial parameter that I had looking for a date, and hard code it in my sql for dataset1, then everything works fine. I click on the id, and the second table fills with the data I need.

Does anyone know how to allow for a parameter that is entered initially to be saved for the refresh?

I don't necessarily know the particulars of what you're up against. However, it SOUNDS like you could just echo whatever parameters you've inputted into additional columns in your first dataset, and then in whatever second query or report, just grab as the parameter the column from the first report. You could make the parameter from the first report part of the result set from the first dataset and use it without needing to actually display it in your first report, just reference it in your expression editor for the parameter for the second report.

Apologies if I'm not understanding what you're up against!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply