ChoicePoint Again

• I wrote in an editorial awhile back on Choicepoint and some of their issues. It spawned an interesting debate from someone inside the industry with a few of us on the outside. Overall I think most of those working for the credit reporting industry do want to do a good job, but as with every other industry, I feel management put's their ethics right behind their stock's performance.

and Choicepoint is back in the news in Wired. Again for some violations.

I'm not expecting them to be perfect. After all, they are dealing with an incredible amount of data that is sourced from places they do not control. And it's an ever changing set of data that is impossible to be completely up to date with in your system. That's not to mention the nightmare of integrating all sorts of feed formats, and even less to mention the ways in which that data is sent to them (any bets on the percentage of people that send them paper for their computer system?)

And I'm not going to sit here and say Wired, or any other journalistic publication is presenting unbiased facts. Publishers for the most part, are interested in selling papers/electrons/whatever to the most eyeballs and aren't above tweaking or slanting a story to make is a little more sensational. So take both sides with a grain of salt.

I, however, am one of the few exceptions. I don't write this to get your interest, since it appears from the responses, that only about 50 of the 80,000 of you read this. It's more of a fun way to express myself from time to time on various subjects that are on my mind or in the news. 🙂

So on my mind this fine day is a new house project. We've just begun construction on a barn and I'm in charge of all the internal work. A contractor will get the shell done, but interior walls for the garage, the stall for two horses, a small tack room, and all the assorted electrical and lighting is up to me. The shot to the right shows where we stand right now. Guess I've got some work to do 🙂

Steve Jones

• Steve,

I would hate to be in Choicepoint's shoes.

As for your barn, I helped my Dad build one when I was a kid.  That was really hard work but I think that's where I learned my work ethics from.  Farm work is good for the soul.  Hopefully, your barn won't turn out as lumpy as ours did. 

Good luck!

P.S.  This really is a picture of our old barn in KY.  I just scanned it today.    I actually did the "path down memory lane" in an old picture album to find it.  Thanks!

• Forget about choicepoint.... 7 years ago, I became the proud owner of two Norwegian Fjords...geldings, half brothers. I had a pole barn built. I had to clear the building site and level it, and then did the roofing. I got to tell you, looking out my window and seeing the two boys outback, and listining to them whinney and neigh is priceless! Well worth the hours of drugery that I spend mucking stalls and brushing horses. Good luck to you!

• I have to say good luck with the barn.

After building my own house and adding a garage and breezeway just this past year I know the time and effort it takes. Especially when it's not your "primary" occupation.

I am sure your family will reap the benefits once completed.

Kindest Regards,

Donald Mayer
    Oswego Health

• I think you probably have more than 50 readers--I've been lurking for the entire length of my subscription.

This note is to encourage you to keep up your editorial and best of luck on your new project!

Tim

• ChoicePoint can't stay out of the news. From the Florida felons list to the most recent stock sale investigation it's like a train wreck in slow motion. The barn is far more interesting!

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I'm writing for the same reason as Tim.  I too am a silent but daily reader of your editorials.   Good luck with the barn. 

• silent, but daily.  me too.

• Well, daily, and some may wish that I was silent.  Steve, I really enjoy the editorials.  Adds a little variety to the constant onslaught of SQL Server!!!!  Good luck with the barn and home!  I envy you!

gerry,  I used to have a Fjord.  It was a 1966 Fjord Fjairlane.  But I didn't keep it in a bjarn, just parked it on the djriveway.

Sjteve (not Jjones)

• Like several of my posting compatriots, I often read, but rarely post.

Good luck with the barn. Intersting that several posters have a rural bent. I, too, have livestock. Horses, llamas and dairy goats.

• I have livestock.  one dog, 4 lizards, 5 fish, and 2 mice (the mice were actually to be dinner for my daughter's snake, but the snake moved to her science classroom).

Steve (not Jones)

• I read your stuff. It's good. And yes, that is some beautiful landscaping in the picture. A structure would be an improvement. But....good things take time. Editorials or House building? Editorials win every time.   

BPH

• I also read your stuff, although this is the first time I've ever responded to it!.   I'm a DBA that works with 4 different databases and need to maximize time on each one.   SQL Server Central is the one newsletter that I make it a point to browse.  Well, maybe 30% of the time I look at it, but's that's more than the other newsletters.

• I'm another of the silent, but daily's.  Keep it up.  Good luck with the barn!

Steve (also, not Jones)

• Me too!..silent but daily.   I don't know anything about building but you may need a little more lumber.

Good Luck!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply