Checking for Truncate rights

• With a SQL2005 database, is it possible connecting as a non-administrative user to determine if that user has truncate rights on a table?

• Books Online - TRUNCATE TABLE permissions

The minimum permission required is ALTER on table_name. TRUNCATE TABLE permissions default to the table owner, members of the sysadmin fixed server role, and the db_owner and db_ddladmin fixed database roles, and are not transferable. However, you can incorporate the TRUNCATE TABLE statement within a module, such as a stored procedure, and grant appropriate permissions to the module using the EXECUTE AS clause.

There is no explicit TRUNCATE TABLE permission. You probably don't want to grant ALTER permissions on the table just to allow TRUNCATE TABLE so EXECUTE AS seems the way to go?

Paul

• Thank you. I will just document that the ALTER permission is required.

• Clive Chinery (8/7/2009)

Thank you. I will just document that the ALTER permission is required.

This is not what Paul said, read again.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply