Checking for a File

• Hello all,

I have created a DTS package that uses the FileSystemObject option to check for a file. However, it fails everytime regardless if the file exists or not. Is this the best way to automate checking for a file? If so, what could be causing this to fail when the file exists?

Jason

BTW - I used the FolderExists method to check if the folder where the file is located exists and it works fine everytime.

• How about posting your code? I'd suggest checking it separately, perhaps in a .vbs file. You can throw in some msgbox's to help you see what is happening.

Andy

• Jason,

I have found two things. First, you can use a VBScript step to check for the file. Example as follows;

'**********************************************************************

' Visual Basic ActiveX Script

'************************************************************************

Function Main()

Dim fso 'File system object

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

IF (fso.FileExists("\\yourserver\path\file.dat")) THEN

Main = DTSStepScriptResult_ExecuteTask

ELSE

Main = DTSStepScriptResult_DontExecuteTask

END IF

End Function

Second, if you use a "on completion" vs. "on success" connector between steps, the VBScript check is not necessary. I have multiple packages which will import a series of files and if they don't exist, the package will just continue on if I use the "on completion" connector. In my case I don't really care if it exists, so this works.

If you really need to know if the file exists, then the above script should help.

David

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Hello everyone,

Well, stupid errors sometimes get you into trouble and this was one case where it did. When I created the file, I added the ".txt" extension, but my machine had hidden known file types. So the file came out as "Test.txt.txt". I was only checking for "Test.txt", and that's why it failed everytime. DUH !!! Thanks for your help!

Jason

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply