FYI, I found out (painfully) yesterday that the case for the embedded mapping values for the US state by county maps is proper case. So the state abbreviations are uppercase (which is common) but the county names are proper case (first letter being capitalized, rest lowercase). This threw a wrench into the works for me as our DW was loaded with upper case county names. This was because the source data was uppercase for all address fields and for reporting, no one really cared. The mapping of the spatial values to the analytical values by county did not return anything due to the case differences.
To fix this, I had two options:
1. Update the county name in each RDL file located in <drive letter>\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\MapGallery\USA\States_by_County\<State Name>.rdl
2. Add a new county column to my dimension table that was loaded with a proper case function so I could have both versions of the county name stored and available.
I went with option 2. The bad thing is that this is an 18M row dimension so it took awhile to compute initially. I was also not fond of having to store another column. However, I was even less fond of the idea of manually changing thousands of county names in RDL files.
I haven't checked yet but I would assume that country names are stored as case sensitive too. I imagine ESRI files are typically built this way too.
If anyone out there has an easier fix for this problem, I would love to know it. From what I can tell, there is no way to change the case sensitivity in the mapping portion of SSRS.