CHARINDEX()

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item CHARINDEX()

--------
    For SQL Tips, check out my blog: http://lantztechknowledge.blogspot.com/[/url]
    You can also follow my twitter account to get daily updates: @BLantz2455

• Easy one for the day. Thanks Bill!!

~ Lokesh Vij

Guidelines for quicker answers on T-SQL question[/url]
    Guidelines for answers on Performance questions

Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLPathy.com[/url]

Follow me @Twitter

• Good straight and easy question.. Thanks..

• Good and easy one. Keep it up !!!

Thanks
    Vinay Kumar
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Keep Learning - Keep Growing !!!

• Easy one

Malleswarareddy
    I.T.Analyst
    MCITP(70-451)

• Hi, this was a nice question, however I don't fully agree with the wording

For Smith, we don't substring it, since S is the first character

SUBSTRING is still used, but since it starts at the first character of the string (start expression < 1), and the length expression is longer than the length of the string, the whole string is returned.

• Nice simple question.

But why refer to a BOL page for an outdated version of SQL Server that is out of standard support, instead of to one of the current versions?

Tom

• It was easy to answer, but:

- the right answer should be: it depends, as CHARINDEX uses the collation of the input.

- the question is actually more about SUBSTRING as CHARINDEX

• Mighty (5/21/2013)

Hi, this was a nice question, however I don't fully agree with the wording

For Smith, we don't substring it, since S is the first character

SUBSTRING is still used, but since it starts at the first character of the string (start expression < 1), and the length expression is longer than the length of the string, the whole string is returned.

Yup, with one small caveat.

As palotaiarpad says, the question is actually more about SUBSTRING than about CHARINDEX. For the Smith row (and assuming default collations - I am glad someone else pointed that out this time, as I start to grow tired of repeating myself), the CHARINDEX() function returns 1, subtract 1 and the result is 0. The effect of any start position below 1 is that SUBSTRING will return characters from the start of the string, but reduce the effective length by the difference between the start position and 1. So in this case, for Smith the effective SUBSTRING arguments are SUBSTRING ('Smith', 0, 10), which is equivalent to SUBSTRING('Smith', 1, 9). Since Smith has less than 9 characters, all of it is returned.

Try the same code with 'Smithsonain', and you *will* note the difference between a start position of 0 or 1 with a length 10.

Reference: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ms187748%28v=sql.110%29.aspx.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• I envision a day when people will cite HKOL instead of BOL.

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Thomas Abraham (5/21/2013)

I envision a day when people will cite HKOL instead of BOL.

+1

• The topic is good, but it was easy only because the data and available answers were too simple. It would have been more challenging (what we all want I think?) if there were some names with multiple "s"s, names longer than 10, and names without an "S". Also should have been an answer with an error condition (I had initially thought there might be an issue with substring with a 0 start).

• Nice question thanks Bill, and thanks to Hugo for the extra information on SUBSTRING.

Dave Morris :alien:

"Measure twice, saw once"

• This one got me - for this simple reason: asking myself - is "SubString" zero-based or one-based. I fell back to the zero-based mindset and as a result choose the incorrect answer. One day I will learn - or just stick with one progamming language.

• Thanks for a REALLY easy one, Bill!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply