Changing SSAS TCP port directly in config file

• Goodday,

I have a problem with changing the TCP port for SQL Server Analysis Services by using the "msmdredir.ini" file

I know how to change it by using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, but I want to change it directly in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\ASConfig\msmdredir.ini" file, so that I can automate the installation/configuration.

Unfortunatly my changes to this file are undone as soon as I start the SSAS service.

This is what I do:

- I have installed a named SSAS instance (SERVER1\INST2).

- When I connect to instance with SSMS I see that the port is configured with the value "0" (which means "Dynamic")

- Then I stop the SSAS service

- Then I open the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\ASConfig\msmdredir.ini" file with notepad

- Then I change the section below:

<Instances>

<Instance>

<Name>INST2</Name>

<Port>65317</Port>

<PortIPv6>65317</PortIPv6>

</Instance>

</Instances>

To

<Instances>

<Instance>

<Name>INST2</Name>

<Port>2383</Port>

<PortIPv6>2383</PortIPv6>

</Instance>

</Instances>

- Then I save the file

- Then I start the SSAS service again

- When I re-open the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\ASConfig\msmdredir.ini", the values have changed again to a new dynamic port.

<Instances>

<Instance>

<Name>INST2</Name>

<Port>49341</Port>

<PortIPv6>49341</PortIPv6>

</Instance>

</Instances>

and in SQL Server Management Studio the port is still configured with the value "0" (which means "Dynamic")

How can I tell SSAS not to use dynamic ports, without using SSMS.

When I change the port by using SSMS evrything goes fine (and the only changed values in the "msmdredir.ini" are the two port numbers)

Kind regard,

Marco

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• I also registered a case at Microsoft support. They helped me with the solution.

You do not change the ports in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared\ASConfig\msmdredir.ini" file, but in the "..\MSAS14.INST2\OLAP\Config\msmdsrv.ini" file. After you have changed the values there, the values will also change in the "msmdredir.ini" file.

<Port>0</Port>

to

<Port>2383</Port>

I was a bit confused because, the file names are a bit the same

Marco

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply