Changing Data Drive Allocation Unit Size on Existing Installation

• I have an existing SQL Server 2019 Standard installation that includes SSRS. The setup is fairly typical and the databases are relatively small at this point. There is a C drive and two additional local drives; one for data files and one for backups. The data drive was formatted for 4K and I'd like to change this to 64K as recommended. My question for the experts-- would the following steps work to correct this, or are there additional complications with this approach? Thanks.

1. Turn off SQL services.

2. Copy contents of data drive to another local drive.

3. Format the data drive to 64K

4. Move the content back to the data drive.

5. Restart SQL services.

• Looks correct. Make sure you copy the permissions

• One other thing you will want to be certain of is that the drive letter doesn't change.

It USUALLY doesn't from a format, but I've seen Windows do stranger things before.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply