Changin port 1433

• Hi all,

I'm a newbie SQL admin. I understand that the 1433 port is vulnerable. So, I plan to change it.

What should be done for me to make sqlserver work fine with another port?

What should be done in theproxy server side and the SQL Server side. There is another guy to take care of the proxy. If i want to change it, what should I ask him to do in his proxy and what I should do in my sql server to make it running.

Thanx alot

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• Start the Server Network Admin. Click TCP/IP and properties. Set desired port. Tell your proxy admin to open up port X (the port you chose), of course only for connects to/from the machine you're running SQL Server on. If the clients connecting to SQL Server will know which port it's using, that should be it I think. If not, you will have to have port 1434 open in the proxy, because the clients will use that port to query SQL Server how to connect to it.

Check the great FAQ at SQLSecurity.com for more info. http://www.sqlsecurity.com/faq.asp

Chris Hedgate @ Apptus Technologies (http://www.apptus.se)

• Hi,

I did try to change my SQL Server's port to 1434 in the Server Network Utility. I also created a new client registration for this server with port 1434.

I'm doing this test within the local intranet.

The client is not connecting to the server. When I contact the Proxy admin, he says that within the same network, we don't need to open the port.

Can someone say how to get this done and where Im missing.

Thanx in advance

Parasu

Parasu Raman

Regards
    Parasu Raman

• 1433 is not any more or less vulnerable than any port. It is the registered port for SQL Servr.

If you do want to change it (though it makes no sense on an internal network)

On the server, run the server network utility. Choose TCP/IP sockets and choose a port. Say 14330.

Then, ON THE SERVER, run the client network utility and choose TCP/IP as the default. Set it to 14330 as well.

Run QA on the server and you should connect. If this works, then make the change on each client.

I don't recommend this. It isn't really providing security.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply